One radiator always off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My soster has been told by a plumber that the radiator in the hall must always be off because it 'regulates' the worcetser combi boiler.
Does this sound right?
Ive just replaced it after decorating and put it on and we have lost water pressure so boiler is now not working.

Sponsored Links
More likely it should always be "on" because it is close to the room thermostat.

You need to top up the pressure and bleed the rad(s)

I’ve never known a radiator to be off so it regulates any boiler. As per John, top up, bleed the hallway rad and any others on the first floor.

Thanks ...now the key has got stuck in the boiler.
It wont repressurise without leaking or come out!
Time for a cuppa and a calm down.
Any ideas of how to get it out?

Sponsored Links
Spray WD40 up into the key and hopefully the O rings will "unstick".
You should always apply a little mild soap (preferably silicon grease) to the O rings before sticking the key in....they will snap with excessive force.
Once you've re-presurised to 1BAR MAXIMUM (constantly tap the gauge as they suffer from stiction) put the heating on (with the boiler temp turned up) and carefully monitor
the pressure...if it goes above 2 bar there's a problem..do not let it go above 2.5 bar otherwise the safety valve can open and it's a PITA on many Worcesters to fix.
You'll also need to balance the radiator and ensure it doesn't heat too fast (I'm assuming the room thermostat is located in the hallway) otherwise the heating will turn off too early before the home has warmed.

It's rarely a good idea to take radiators off for decorating....but it's a good earner sorting out the aftermath. :)

Tha ms gasgurj I think I have sorted it ( so car pressure is stable a d rads are hot). That "lite job" has taken my day out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back