1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

One radiator always off?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Teachdad, 19 Nov 2021.

1. Teachdad

Teachdad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    My soster has been told by a plumber that the radiator in the hall must always be off because it 'regulates' the worcetser combi boiler.
    Does this sound right?
    Ive just replaced it after decorating and put it on and we have lost water pressure so boiler is now not working.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    More likely it should always be "on" because it is close to the room thermostat.

You need to top up the pressure and bleed the rad(s)

4. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ve never known a radiator to be off so it regulates any boiler. As per John, top up, bleed the hallway rad and any others on the first floor.

5. Teachdad

Teachdad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks ...now the key has got stuck in the boiler.
    It wont repressurise without leaking or come out!
    Time for a cuppa and a calm down.
    Any ideas of how to get it out?

6. Gasguru

Gasguru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Spray WD40 up into the key and hopefully the O rings will "unstick".
    You should always apply a little mild soap (preferably silicon grease) to the O rings before sticking the key in....they will snap with excessive force.
    Once you've re-presurised to 1BAR MAXIMUM (constantly tap the gauge as they suffer from stiction) put the heating on (with the boiler temp turned up) and carefully monitor
    the pressure...if it goes above 2 bar there's a problem..do not let it go above 2.5 bar otherwise the safety valve can open and it's a PITA on many Worcesters to fix.
    You'll also need to balance the radiator and ensure it doesn't heat too fast (I'm assuming the room thermostat is located in the hallway) otherwise the heating will turn off too early before the home has warmed.

It's rarely a good idea to take radiators off for decorating....but it's a good earner sorting out the aftermath. :)

7. Teachdad

Teachdad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tha ms gasgurj I think I have sorted it ( so car pressure is stable a d rads are hot). That "lite job" has taken my day out.

8. Sponsored Links