One room alarm with GSM and maybe camera?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a single room in my home where I need to add some uprated security.

Currently using a foscam ip camera which is OK but I want a fully redundant and proper alarm system.

Requirements:

1- must call / sms at least three people using wifi(ideally but phone line ok) but must have a GSM as a backup
2- must have battery backup
3- must allow 1PIR and a door sensor
4- hopefully it will also allow for a camera which should
- allow me to view it remotely
- record locally
- be able to upload images / video as per the foscam
- turn off when I disable the alarm! (Foscam is always on so I get constant emails when I am in the room)
5- ideally be en50131 grade2 but this seems to be unlikely
6- no external sounder necessary
7- ideally <=£250

I *think*the ERA miGuard G5iP116 system will do this but I'm not clear if the camera can upload to a remote location or not and I know it's not grade 2 plus the reviews are mixed

As an aside we already have a full wired veritas8 alarm system in the house, this is just beefing up one room.

Sponsored Links
It might be difficult filling that criteria as a single official product meeting standards and for that budget. Assume you need it to be grade 2 for insurance? who will be fitting it as this will make the grade 2 pointless if not by an approved installer? You would probably be best with 2 separate products (dedicated alarm & dedicated dvr) and then use the I/O ports on the DVR and outputs on the alarm to integrate with each other

Or drop the grade 2 / EN requirement and go with some generic product like you've found.

The grade2 isn't a requirement really just a nice to have for peace of mind, I don't have an issue with getting an installer in but I agree with your reasoning so I'll drop that as a requirement.

Maybe I'll drop the camera requirement as well, I don't think I can find one to match my requirements

Last edited:
seems a tall order however lets look at it differently.

An ip camera connected to your network, can upload images, some ip cameras can add an sd card
some ip cameras have input output modules, so they can take a door contact, or the pir alarm pair, then you just need power for the PIR.
the output could be used to activate a zone on the veritas

a stand alone gsm module, takes an output to fire it, sure someone said theres one knocking about for around £60 on here.

thats where to start looking, but good luck.

Sponsored Links
I like that theory, the only issue we have is that the veritas is already all zoned out and it already has a couple of zones with two sensors on it

I'll look into maybe creating my own system though, it might be a better way to get what I want

If your veritas is already full up that makes more than 8 zones.
You will not get the system you want for your budget?
Why would you fit a wireless system/devices when you already have a hard wired system
I think you would need to double your budget?

Because one room needs additional security whereas the veritas 8 suffices perfectly for the rest of the house?

To be honest I'm thinking of just going with the ERA guardian or the miGuard g5 and sticking with the foscam. I can just put the camera on a smart socket and turn it off while I am in there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back