Oops, there goes the UK car industry...

Ford and JLR have joined in, but the stories I'm reading are a little different to the inference of the thread title. The new rules will impact on EU manufacturers equally.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...p&cvid=65e9a9091a5f4375bb86bbdee7541497&ei=48

Current post-Brexit rules require 40% of an electric vehicle’s parts by value to be sourced in the UK or EU if it is to be sold on the other side of the Channel without a 10% trade tariff.

This proportion is due to rise to 45% next year, and because most electric vehicle batteries are still imported from Asia, and batteries make up a large part of the cost of building a car, vehicles made in the UK and the EU are likely to fall foul of the rules.

Stellantis warned on Wednesday that without a rethink, it could be forced to shut some of its UK operations, putting jobs at risk in an industry that employs 800,000 people in Britain.

Ford, which makes electric cars in Germany and parts in the UK, said on Thursday the requirement would add “pointless cost to customers wanting to go green”. A spokesperson said: “Tariffs will hit both UK- and EU-based manufacturers, so it is vital that the UK and EU come to the table to agree a solution.”

Jaguar Land Rover, the UK’s largest automotive employer, joined the chorus, describing the current timing as “unrealistic and counterproductive”, and calling on the UK and EU to “quickly agree a better implementation solution to avoid destabilising the industry’s transition to clean mobility.”

Sponsored Links
Ford, which makes electric cars in Germany and parts in the UK, said on Thursday the requirement would add “pointless cost to customers wanting to go green”. A spokesperson said: “Tariffs will hit both UK- and EU-based manufacturers, so it is vital that the UK and EU come to the table to agree a solution.”
I’m sure I saw an article on the news the other night with the British saying "We don’t want to pay it" and the EU counterpart saying "We don’t want to charge it". Simple solution - don’t!
I suspect trade will overcome this, as usual, and it will remain just another disappointing non-happening in Ellals library of 'Oops' non-posts.

Sponsored Links
Ford and JLR have joined in, but the stories I'm reading are a little different to the inference of the thread title. The new rules will impact on EU manufacturers equally.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...p&cvid=65e9a9091a5f4375bb86bbdee7541497&ei=48

Current post-Brexit rules require 40% of an electric vehicle’s parts by value to be sourced in the UK or EU if it is to be sold on the other side of the Channel without a 10% trade tariff.

This proportion is due to rise to 45% next year, and because most electric vehicle batteries are still imported from Asia, and batteries make up a large part of the cost of building a car, vehicles made in the UK and the EU are likely to fall foul of the rules.

Stellantis warned on Wednesday that without a rethink, it could be forced to shut some of its UK operations, putting jobs at risk in an industry that employs 800,000 people in Britain.

Jaguar Land Rover, the UK’s largest automotive employer, joined the chorus, describing the current timing as “unrealistic and counterproductive”, and calling on the UK and EU to “quickly agree a better implementation solution to avoid destabilising the industry’s transition to clean mobility.”
I believe the difference is Europe is planning and investing in Battery technology and factories.

I’m sure I saw an article on the news the other night with the British saying "We don’t want to pay it" and the EU counterpart saying "We don’t want to charge it". Simple solution - don’t!
I suspect trade will overcome this, as usual, and it will remain just another disappointing non-happening in Ellals library of 'Oops' non-posts.
Trade will get over anything, at a price.

Why do you want the prices to be higher and the industry going elsewhere?

Doesn't help when the nobs that run this country went for all electric cars by 2030 and the eu had the sense to defer to 2035.
Also is it not the case china's been raiding Africa and the like for lithium and now own 80% of the market.

I believe the difference is Europe is planning and investing in Battery technology and factories.
It is. And it's something the British car industry should've been doing ten or even twenty years ago.
Before the global meltdown in 2008, the Honda plant at Swindon produced 230,000 vehicles a year; by 2021 it had shut with the loss of 3,200 jobs.
The truth is, the industry had been dealt a mortal blow in the 70s with toxic relations between management and workers, rising prices and a ruthless Japanese market which was simply better at what it did.

A synopsis of the problems can be found @theGuardian.com

Andy Palmer, the chair of the European battery manufacturer InoBat, told the same programme that 800,000 jobs in the UK associated with the car industry were under threat. “If you can’t meet these local content rules, if you don’t have battery capability in the UK, then those car manufacturers will move to mainland Europe,” he said.
The former Aston Martin chief executive added: “We have known about the rules for four years. There have been numerous warnings to the government. We have been sleeping at the wheel – [the] consequence is we are now running out of time and the UK becomes a much less attractive place in which to do business.”

Last edited:
Talking of 'swerve', when are you going to tell us of a 'brexit bonus'?

It's a question that has been put to you countless times, and yet you refuse to answer...

Why is that?

Oh that's right, there isn't any 'brexit bonus' and there never will be...

mottie was played like a fool, and simply won't admit the truth :LOL:
Not the only 1, but he does keep playing the same tune on repeat

Talking of 'swerve', when are you going to tell us of a 'brexit bonus'?

It's a question that has been put to you countless times, and yet you refuse to answer...

Why is that?

Sponsored Links
Back