Opella Torbeck Valves

RJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think of the Torbeck cistern valves, especially the side entry valve. Are they to be avoided, except as a final resort, as some experts suggest? Or do they work well with just the occasional problem? Have your say, I should be interested to hear.

Sponsored Links
can't fault them never been back to one that i've fitted.
i do prefer the fluidmaster.

• Thanks
Reactions: RJR
I certainly think they have their place - slim, quiet, simple and spares are available....but its the Fluidmaster Pro for me (brass thread- bliss) where possible.
Never had a Torbeck pack in but they do suffer from flatulence when getting on a bit - rather like me, really :p
So many of the bits we get to play with these days are just built for minimum quality, and folks buy them because they are so cheap. Makes me wonder when we'll see the light and stop buying crap.
John :)

• Thanks
They seem to suffer a lot with scale, and bottom entry ones can be bouncy. A bit fragile - have destroyed a couple of old ones changing the (special) washer.
Too cheap to be good.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for Fluidmaster, too.

Note; not all Fluidmaster PRO inlet valves have brass tails, just the PRO 45 and PRO 75. (Range recently revamped. PRO from merchants, non PRO from sheds.)

• Thanks
threads shocking on them - in fact if theres nothing else available I always buy two just in case and its nearly always the case it cross threads - try to avoid at all costs - like previous posts - fluidmaster brass shanks all the way for me

• Thanks
I've kept the opella ones on the van and been using them for 2 years now, had no problems and fitted countless numbers, have once cross threaded one but the nut was in a bit of a state and I should have known better really.

I have been called out to at least 5 or 6 of the grey and black fluidmaster valves which have fallen to bits.

Alex

• Thanks
FluidMaster PROs with brass shanks out of choice for me. Have used Torbecks, get on OK with them but had two or three not shutting off out of the bag and changed no end of them.

• Thanks
As a matter of interest, which ones are the quiet ones?

Will need one to replace a noisy water tank valve in the loft.

Torbeck do a Quiet fill valve, although I am sure that some of the other manufacturers do aswell.

Alex

Fluidmaster are quiet valves as they discharge below the waterline.

I'd suggest Fluidmaster too. Although some other brands which I have found to be quite good are Wirquin (B and Q) and Geberit (Ebay). Out of all of them I would get the Geberit, although its expensive, its quiet and if you live in a seriously hardwater area like me, they seem to last a long time.

GeberitImpuls380Side250.jpg

Only ever purchased a Torbeck once, never again! Now the company I started working for insist on using them. I simply go to the merchants and book out a Fluidmaster :D

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back