opening a blocked up chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a house and one of the reception rooms has a chimney breast that has been blocked up and then plastered over so the whole thing is like a flat fall. I was wondering how big a job it was to restore the chimney so that I could install a gas fire heater. I've tapped on the area where the fireplace should be and it sounds like brick. I'm not sure what's behind the brick, the old chimney might be there or it might be full of something or other. I can't figure out why they got rid of the chimney. What are the reasons people normally block them up ? when the chimney is old and dangerous? It can't because of the space it takes up because then they would have removed the breat not blocked off the chimney.I've looked at the chimney from outside the house and the chimney has a new layer of bricks near the top and instead of an open end, there's a small metal thing sticking out. Not sure what that's all about. Can someone explain please, and if possible tell me if it seems feasible to put the chimney back, from what I've described. If the thing is going to be a lot of hassel I might just put an electric fireplace in, as that does not need a chimney. I would however prefer a gas fire.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
has the current, blocked up chimney, got an air brick, a hit and miss vent or a louvred vent fitted to it, just above the skirting line?

I don't know what it's called, but it's a rectangular plastic vent with slits to either let air in or out. I haven't tried taking it off because there aren't any screws on it as there are on other vents around the house. Should I try and remove it?

Sponsored Links
the gas fire installers should be able to open up the fireplace ok.
they will have to fit a gas terminal at the chimney top.

with a little bit of masonry alteration a gas fire could be fitted to the wall.

you will probably have to sweep the chimney too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back