Opening up fireplace (builders opening)

Use whatever suits you just so long as it contains a vent.
Yes, some kind of venting terminal is needed at the top of the flue - if you have chimney pots then use a clay insert. Never use metal, it will quickly rust out.

Can I ask, is there a special plaster/Browning/plasterboard you should use for the chimney?

Sponsored Links
In your fire opening the only concern would be soot penetration of the surrounding material(s) so you would be wise to render the sides, and use a vented backer board as the sealer.
But you have a redundant opening so plaster board or ply could be used for the sealer.
Do not use gypsum plaster anywhere in the surround.

In your fire opening the only concern would be soot penetration of the surrounding material(s) so you would be wise to render the sides, and use a vented backer board as the sealer.
But you have a redundant opening so plaster board or ply could be used for the sealer.
Do not use gypsum plaster anywhere in the surround.

Why not gypsum plaster?

Took some bricks out today. Im a little worried that behind that right pillar at some point bricks were took out. Will i be ok to take the rest of them bricks out thats in the way and then brick up behind that pillar?

I'm opening up our fireplace to give it the wood burner effect although we will put an electric lookalike in.

Just wondering if there are any builders knocking around TZ and what they think how I should carry on.

I've took quite a bit of brickwork out so far and as you can see there is a big concrete lintel on two pillars holding the chimney up. I'm wondering if I can take the brickwork all the way back to the pillars and the lintel without issue.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, remove all the in-fill up to the lintel - do just as I suggested above.
The chimney breast back wall has now been exposed so only remove from the sides up to the concrete lintel - dont touch the back wall.

FWIW: You should get more protection for the floor and remove all furnishings away from the c/breast.

Come back when you've fully opened up.

Yes, remove all the in-fill up to the lintel - do just as I suggested above.
The chimney breast back wall has now been exposed so only remove from the sides up to the concrete lintel - dont touch the back wall.

FWIW: You should get more protection for the floor and remove all furnishings away from the c/breast.

Come back when you've fully opened up.

Floor is being replaced. So you reckon it's safe to take away the rest of the brickwork although there are bricks missing at the back of the pillar? Can't see the pillar going anywhere and when I get them bricks out the way I can brick that void at the back of the pillar.

I thought the idea was to open up to the original dimensions - now you are talking about "bricking up" - I dont follow?
Point out on the photos please exactly where you want to brick up?

I thought the idea was to open up to the original dimensions - now you are talking about "bricking up" - I dont follow?
Point out on the photos please exactly where you want to brick up?

If you zoom in on the first photo the right pillar has bricks missing at the back. They might of been smashed out for pipes at some stage.

That why I've left that little column of bricks to give the lintel a bit of support.

OK, if thats a worry then roughly clean that pocket out, and slip in a mortared in brick or brick bat - when the mortar if firming up drive in some slate if you can get any. Allow to set overnight & then carry on.

OK, if thats a worry then roughly clean that pocket out, and slip in a mortared in brick or brick bat - when the mortar if firming up drive in some slate if you can get any. Allow to set overnight & then carry on.
Did I read somewhere you need a special mortar for chimneys? Or am I wrong.

Today's work

Will take the rest of the bricks out on the left tomorrow. Hopefully no one has butchered that pillar.

Wow, well done - thats a much neater job than I would have done. Great work including the 2 x 4 post for insurance. Way to go.

Wow, well done - thats a much neater job than I would have done. Great work including the 2 x 4 post for insurance. Way to go.

Thanks vinn. Out of curiosity What trade are you? Had you down as a brickie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back