Opening up fireplace (builders opening)

Yes. Thats for a backing or float coat. Your already using a S&L backing render.
Use board finish, its cheaper & in your case wont make much of a difference.

You might struggle with a 10mm bead.

Have you made certain that your angle bead is for render that its not a "skim bead" used on plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Thats for a backing or float coat. Your already using a S&L backing render.
Use board finish, its cheaper & in your case wont make much of a difference.

You might struggle with a 10mm bead.

Have you made certain that your angle bead is for render that its not a "skim bead" used on plasterboard?

Balls. ill have to take it back along with the beads ( yes the beads have the mesh on them)

Ill get this for the finish coat shall i http://www.pozament.co.uk/products/high-impact-finishing-plaster/

I just hope that glasroc multiboard is the right stuff. They said in the murchants its what people use to line around stoves.

"beads have the mesh on them" angle beads all have mesh fins, if thats what you mean?
google "skim beads" and see the difference.

You dont need that expensive finish you referenced - use board finish.

Neither do you need the expensive Glasroc board - use any cheap & simple backerboard.

"beads have the mesh on them" angle beads all have mesh fins, if thats what you mean?
google "skim beads" and see the difference.

You dont need that expensive finish you referenced - use board finish.

Neither do you need the expensive Glasroc board - use any cheap & simple backerboard.

These http://www.diy.com/departments/galvanised-steel-angle-bead-l3000mm-w45mm/35781_BQ.prd

I was going to get hardiebacker but the murchants i was in didnt stock it. I would of needed 3 of them so the glasroc didnt work out that much more expensive.

Ill have to pop out and change the stop beads to 15mm so i can crack on tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
The beads you reference are the correct angle beads for your c/breast outside corners.

The beads you reference are the correct angle beads for your c/breast outside corners.

Hi vinn. Lined the cavity today and got as thin a render scratch coat as I could. Man I hate rendering, just hope I've got it on ok and it sticks.

I'll give it another scratch coat tomorrow and then the lime finish the day after.

That looks great. Very neat detailing as usual.
Tomorrow you will be able to float it out to a few mm's shy of the beads - remember to take out any suction with a fine spray or a little brushed on water, & brush down all the little snots from the scratching marks.

Cheers vinn. Will be sure to wet it before I start the next coat. Thinking of getting a big patio slab for a hearth, would I be better to put a bit of Dpm down before bedding the slab in?

No. There's been no mention of damp, & the back hearth seems to be a concrete slab so no DPM needed.

Second coat. Bloody angle bead flipped out at the bottom today. Think next time I'll use grab adhesive on them to keep them secure.

Is it best to leave the render a couple of days to dry before applying the limelite finish?

Also is limelite finish just like multi finish to mix and apply?

Yes, why not leave it for a 48hr period or so. You'll see the colour change as it lightens up.
Once again take up suction and have a wet brush handy.
Knock off any snots.
Open the bag at the corner and shake a little powder into a 1/4 bucket of clean water.
Dont mix too much.
If you have a spot board or a hawk wet them down before loading.
Trowel on very tight, starting at the bottom of the c/breast & sweeping up.
When it starts to firm up, flatten it with a clean wet trowel.
Knock up a fresh mix for a second coat - first clean the bucket and trowel and mix some more.
Apply as before, long sweeping strokes - dont go mad trying to polish it.
Run a sponge down the bead.
Wait a little and pick up fat to fill any divots.

Seal the bag and immediately wash all tools & boards.

Yes, why not leave it for a 48hr period or so. You'll see the colour change as it lightens up.
Once again take up suction and have a wet brush handy.
Knock off any snots.
Open the bag at the corner and shake a little powder into a 1/4 bucket of clean water.
Dont mix too much.
If you have a spot board or a hawk wet them down before loading.
Trowel on very tight, starting at the bottom of the c/breast & sweeping up.
When it starts to firm up, flatten it with a clean wet trowel.
Knock up a fresh mix for a second coat - first clean the bucket and trowel and mix some more.
Apply as before, long sweeping strokes - dont go mad trying to polish it.
Run a sponge down the bead.
Wait a little and pick up fat to fill any divots.

Seal the bag and immediately wash all tools & boards.

Cheers vinn. Yes I'll leave it 48hrs and give it a bash on Wednesday. I can see me using the whole bag of plaster though, I have to allow for 'floor' coverage ;)

2 coats of limelite finish plaster

Not far off now then I can get on with laying new floor and decorating.

Ain't got a clue on what hearth to have. I think regs state it has to at least 300mm from a stoves door and 150mm each side.

That looks terrific. Put an ad in the paper you would get lots of work.
300mm & 150mm are the correct measurements last time I looked.
One thing - is the present hearth sitting on a solid concrete base? The front hearth and the back hearth should be solid no wood allowed.

That looks terrific. Put an ad in the paper you would get lots of work.
300mm & 150mm are the correct measurements last time I looked.
One thing - is the present hearth sitting on a solid concrete base? The front hearth and the back hearth should be solid no wood allowed.

Cheers vinn. That limelite finish is nice to work with. The back hearth is bricks and the front seems to be a concrete slab.

It's going to be a long time before we get a stove so I think I'm going to put a smaller hearth in for now to give us more floor room.

Could do with getting some granite to bed in and maybe protrude around 100mm.

Thanks for all your help on this vinn. I'll update the thread when I've finished decorating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back