Opening up fireplace (builders opening)

Just seen this, great stuff.

Did you use 3:1 S&L for both the scratch coats or the Limelite renovating plaster in the end?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Gossamer,
I had a bit of input to this thread back in Nov 2016.
Why, if you have a similar issue, dont you start a separate thread & briefly explain or provide pics ref your question?

Gossamer,
I had a bit of input to this thread back in Nov 2016.
Why, if you have a similar issue, dont you start a separate thread & briefly explain or provide pics ref your question?

Fair point. My issue relates to needing to replaster around a doorway, so similar in that I need to bead and use non-gypsum plaster (old gaff).

Following your thread with interest.

I have a question, maby vinn can answer. The limelite; you say this should always be used on a chimney breast? Is that in any situation? Or specific to this for some reason?

I am planning to get a room re-skimmed soon and it has the unused breast which is vented (top and bottom). It is plastered in what is, I assume, the original plaster which is probably lime.

I assume they will use a standard gypsum plaster. Would there be any issue?

Sponsored Links
I've never claimed that Limelite (or sand & lime render) "should always be used on a chimney breast".

Using remedial materials is case specific.
If there is salt penetration or surface soot or any signs of damp penetration then use the above remedial materials.

Many c/breasts are floated & finished with gypsum powders but to be very safe then use a 3:1 sand & lime mix (or Limelite) on the c/breast only - not all around the room.
And be certain all flues in the breast have been swept.

Gutted the photos are gone, am about to tackle a similar project and wanted to refresh my memory....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back