Press left button, click right button
Press right button, move mouse right

Go to parent directory
Up, then left

Create new, empty browser window
Double-click in workspace

Go to pre-set home page
Double-click in empty window

Ah, to be using a decent browser -- free too !!
Least, known security vulnerabilities !!
;)

Sponsored Links
Not tried the full-blown Opera yet, but may do now you've recommended it.

I use the semi-skimmed version, FireFox, and it's spot on.

Just one or two sites that don't work with it, and can't get the imbedded RealPlayer to work properly. I like listening to Southern FM though I've moved back up north, to get internet radio I have to revert to MS IE.

I tried using Opera with Linux, but it really started to annoy me. For one thing, the DIYnot website looks rubbish in Opera running on Linux. Not tried Opera on Windows, IE seems to work fine for me <html tag unspecified></Frontpage Express error code 4712>

To be fair, everything annoys me when run on Linux... ;)

<echo "IE has crashed. Do you want to send a report to Microsoft"/box"OK"/box"Bog off">

Must come clean, some sites do not work properly, due, according to the Opera crew, to the web site not being constructed to the book ! Diynot looks same as in IE6+bits .... spel cheque doesn't work, could be my ZAP settings. Tis ok using 'Firefox', IE6.
I like the Opera download or transfer manager, retains history, tis easy to restart download for updated file, or following a d/l failure.
Easy buttons for site links, Info security etc, 'Notes' being a neat way to save text from a site for future ref --- Background or tabbed pages, oodles of settings to play with ... not good for printing with my system, others appear to have problems too.
Main thing is - small memory requirement, fast and pretty secure -- due to no active-x ? Minority usage compared to IE ? Pretty quick plugging of known vulnerabilities --
====================
graph

50% of 60 (30) either unpatched or partially patched
====================
graph

13% of 32 unpatched. (4)
====================
graph

100% of 6 either unpatched or partially patched
====================
From a butchers through http://secunia.com/product/761/ I thought the current Opera vulnerabilities were pretty innocuous, if sensible precautions taken when for example web banking, single open page, typing site address not redirecting via e-mail or web page to bank site, etc --- I have set my OExp to NOT auto open mail, and to read as text only, easily changed back to full richness it the mail is worthy of it.

But then I guess bu##er all is really safe on the old web !!

Sponsored Links
If you're in favour of avoiding Microsoft, pip (and it's a good idea), why use Outlook Express? I'm running Mozilla Thunderbird, only problem to report was during my temporary dial-up period last week, doesn't seem to like being launched (for composing etc) when no internet connection is present. Now back to broadband again and it's behaving perfectly once more. And obviously much more secure than Outlook.

Idleness I am afraid 45p !! But yes I aim to try both 'Firefox's' Thunderbox and the 'Opera' equivalent .... at some point.
I have not had a single virus found in mail, at Out'lk Express for a fair old period -- BTYahoo seem to be quite stringent at the server regards protection, although I am not so sure of Yahoo itself ... maybe I am just a benign user ? Do not have to contend with hardly any spam locally, but need to clear the spam from the BTY folders -- quite aggressively segregated.
All currently ticking and winding quite nicely ... famous last words I have no doubt !!
;)

Eddie M said:
AdamW said:
To be fair, everything annoys me when run on Linux... ;)

Perhaps Richard P runs on Linux ;) :LOL:

Or "Kinnux" perhaps ;)

I am wondering, are non-MS products actually more secure? Or is it just that all the worms and viruses target MS products due to their widespread use and most people's general dislike of MS (although it doesn't stop us using their products!)

Was it Die Hard with Avengeance where Bruce Willis walked into a ghetto wearing a sandwich board saying "I hate n******"? Now, in the film he gets out alive. But, say you got two men to walk through Compton wearing sandwich boards, one with the above slogan written on, one totally blank. The one with a slogan on is far more likely to get shot dead, but that doesn't mean the blank one is any more bulletproof. It just means people don't feel much like shooting at him.

Same with MS. People hate MS, so if they are going to find an exploit and write a worm they will put all their effort into attacking the MS products.

I think you are right, in some respects .. But the vulnerabilities mentioned are apparentlydue to flawed code, which become targetted by the baddies.
Bit like trotting down to the very old Tigris for a spot of fishing --- in a marine's outfit or a nightshirt and tea towel. ... Almost a means of surfing in disguise -- Firefox and Opera have more protective settings, prophelacticised browsing ;) .. Certainly no automatic active-x appears to be an important factor.
I actually think M$ are pretty good, just trying to do too much with perhaps that ulterior motive of rented software on the horizon.

In their defence I recently re-installed win98se on spare m/c ... I had downloaded all security updates after Aug 2003 for the O/S, committed to CD.
After the install I banged all the updates in, from the freeby M$ updates CD valid to Oct 2003, followed by the downloaded stuff bringing the system up to date ... Absolutely no glitches whatever, I then did Office 2k, from SR-1 to SP-3 with KB822035, 873372 Same result ... excellent.
P

Sponsored Links
Back