Opinion: How Best to Close?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased a house with an attached garage that opens to the back garden, however its not been completely closed off. We’d like to close the garage as when it rains water comes in but also to protect any stored items.

Whats the best way? I’d like to put in a uPVC door with glass to allow light to come in. Would it be best to brick it up or put a timber frame and door? The room next to it is just a shed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 722E8012-BF44-4315-AA53-DB78DC02749B.jpeg
    722E8012-BF44-4315-AA53-DB78DC02749B.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 51A5477C-54EF-41B9-B1C9-578851B62838.jpeg
    51A5477C-54EF-41B9-B1C9-578851B62838.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
whichever is easiest for you.

An easy way would be to put in some studwork, breathable membrane on outside, then 2 x 1 battens, then rendaboard -make it like a proper timber frame construction so you form a ventilated cavity, then you have a long lasting dry wall.

dont take studwork to floor, put down a row of bricks

you have a problem with the flush floor -its a leak point, ideally use a diamond disk in a grinder and cut a slot in line with where your bricks will go, then a load of slots from there to the outside then knock off the bits left with a hammer and bolster

...sorry I can't answer your question, but what comes to my mind - if you enclose this area, you may have to improve the link door to the garage to a fire door conforming to current building regs, regarding fire safety.

Sponsored Links
whichever is easiest for you.

An easy way would be to put in some studwork, breathable membrane on outside, then 2 x 1 battens, then rendaboard -make it like a proper timber frame construction so you form a ventilated cavity, then you have a long lasting dry wall.

dont take studwork to floor, put down a row of bricks

you have a problem with the flush floor -its a leak point, ideally use a diamond disk in a grinder and cut a slot in line with where your bricks will go, then a load of slots from there to the outside then knock off the bits left with a hammer and bolster

That sounds grand! So basically dig a trench to lay the first row of bricks and build up a few layers then the rest use studwork covered in rendaboard externally?

If I insert a upvc door frame should it be about a bricks height off the ground externally?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back