Opinions on 60s pyro cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are your thoughts on replacing 60s pyro cable?

This is all hypothetical. I'm inspired by a current thread on the forum.

Recently I observed someone having to re-wire a whole block of about 30 flats. Wiring in concealed pyro. Circa 1965.

The reason for all this work was to satisfy the insurance company.

As you can imagine, pvc mini trunking EVERYWHERE.

And not even done well.

QUESTION; was the work REALLY necessary? Would just testing the wiring, and checking the sleeves, have been enough? And of course all the usual upgrades such as new consumer units, checking bonding, maybe replace all the switch and socket fronts?

I was amazed how the residents were forced to have their homes ruined by trunking across the ceilings and round the walls.

Sponsored Links
Thats similar to how the council work, i suppose its preferable to them to have all new and have a lifespan of over 10 years and eliminate future problems and hassle of a system near its end of life

The pyro is obviously likely to be fine for many years to come, but the problems will come reterminating it if the Electricians are not used to working with it.

I thought pyro should last pretty much forever.

Usually problems tend to be a wire may snap near the pot termination - but that's typically due to wires being bent around too much.

Shouldn't be much re-terminating as such - though perhaps where new consumer unit is fitted.

If a pyro cable gets knackered, then I would expect most electricians to replace that section with twin and earth and trunking.

Does pyro age much, other than the occasional wire snapping or a pot seal failing?

Do the copper cores get particularly brittle?

Sponsored Links
The pyro is virtually indestructible though if buried in concrete who knows what could happen, damp could be the main concern and possibly cause corosion over 50 odd years, though pyro exposed to rain although green still plods on ok.
Pots blowing up are more common nearer time of installing, due to contamination in the compound or poor fitting, tot usually years later.
Bear in mind it also may be imperial pyro and pots etc most likely unobtainable.
Im sure they probarly now have more sockets in more sensible locations now than a 60's install

Old pyro cores do tend to snap off when disturbed, though its always possible that the pyro was scored slightly when originally stripped

Not their homes, though, if they were council tenants.

Councils often use minitrunking because it removes any problems with the tenant complaining about damage to tenant's decor during later wiring alterations.

I'd like to know why it had to be rewired to satisfy "the insurance company". Isn't there more than one insurance company? Was the building really uninsurable in its current state?

Would rather have 50 year old pyro than brand new pvc anyday of the week. It is a far superior cable system and will outlast me and you if left alone. The trouble's arise with these 5 yearly inspections with accessories being taken off for testing on a regular basis.

Fault finding pyro is easy, you can narrow down to ends pretty quickly. Fixing the problem when all the glands/pots are embedded in walls is not so quick. Older Pyro needs consideration in terms of replacement glands/pots too. The older imperial sizes are obviously no longer made. There are charts to give the next best size, but not all work too well.

It may be more cost effective to ditch and prevent further problems from appearing. Would a council house tenant be happy waiting days for a spark to open a wall, obtain parts, fun and recommsion?

Fault finding pyro is easy, you can narrow down to ends pretty quickly. Fixing the problem when all the glands/pots are embedded in walls is not so quick. Older Pyro needs consideration in terms of replacement glands/pots too. The older imperial sizes are obviously no longer made. There are charts to give the next best size, but not all work too well.

It may be more cost effective to ditch and prevent further problems from appearing. Would a council house tenant be happy waiting days for a spark to open a wall, obtain parts, fun and recommsion?

But does 50 year old pyro fail much though?

Assuming someone isn't messing about with on a regular basis, I would assume it would keep on going without many problems at all.

Assuming someone isn't messing about with on a regular basis, I would assume it would keep on going without many problems at all.

It will keep going indefinitely, The weakest link with pyro of this age is people pulling it about at terminations. i.e. changing faceplates, testing etc, etc.

Well, as you and others have pointed out, to do regular testing and replace all the accessories for nice new ones does potentially compromise the actual wiring I suppose.

And every time a room is repapered the accessories are going to be loosened and the wiring disturbed.

I suppose the wires are more prone to snap as there's little flexibility near the pot; whereas any other cable has a bit more flexibility just before it enters the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back