Is this some kind of armoured cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A friend of mine is intending to replace some electrics in his garage but when he looked at the cable which comes up to the old fusebox it appears to be some sort of armoured cable.

I took 3 photos of a short section of it and I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on what it is.

P1000847.jpg

P1000848.jpg

P1000849.jpg

I've seen modern armoured cable, but never anything like this. The conductors are contained in an insulating material within a copper tube. Does this tube act as the earth?
The tube is then contained in a PVC sleeve which has been removed for the photos.

Also it seems very light weight wiring for both power and lights (which is what it's been running since the bungalow was built in the 60s).

All help and advice is gratefully received.

All the best,
Tony.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
MICC, mineral insulated copper clad cable. Far superior in almost every way to SWA cables they they fit today. The only way SWA is better today is that many electricians (domestic at least) won't have a clue how to terminate MICC today! By the way, the cable end absorbs moisture, so unless you have a lot of slack on it, you may need to replace it as water is a poor insulator!

By the way, the cable end absorbs moisture, so unless you have a lot of slack on it, you may need to replace it as water is a poor insulator!
I suspect it is now beyond salvage.

It may have been perfectly sound, but having been sawed into by people who had no idea what they were doing, that's probably now irrelevant.

But, depending on what "intending to replace some electrics in his garage" actually means, the pyro may always have been going to be irrelevant anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back