Opinions on an older (but new-style) Mini Cooper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister is wondering about getting one. Not a "proper" Mini Cooper, one of these new impostors from BMW. She isn't looking to spend much, so it will be an early one. Any good? (compared to other £2k cars, that is)!

Sponsored Links
A guy at work's wife had one. He said a lot of the parts were expensive main dealer only, for example the rear wiper needed some small part but he had to buy a complete motor assembly.

Also a car salesman I know says when they get any older ones as trade-ins they put them straight to auction cos they're expensive to fix.

Not the most comprehensive advice, but maybe bear it in mind.

I don't think they are as reliable as the make would suggest but there are loads about......
I've heard of timing chain issues (engine type unknown), water pump failure and various sensor problems.
Maybe a scout around the owner forums could be time well spent?
John :)

Well she probably has her head turned, regardless of what you (we) are going to say.
"No, No, No, they're scrap", well you could imagine the reply, if she is anything like my sister?
So I suppose if she gets extended warranty and has someone reliable to give it the once over (not you ... :)) and a full MOT. What more can we do, hope for the best?

Standard Mini, just mightn't be trashed as much, all the test pilots buy Coopers?

Good luck .............

Sponsored Links
Only things I know of were issues with the early midland gearboxes fitted up to 2004. We have a 2005 model and it's been fine with very few problems in 40000 miles and 4 years, the brake component fixings like to seize up but that's all I can comment on.
I don't find parts that expensive from the likes of euro car parts, I always get oem equivalent parts from them.
I've heard of timing chain issues on later cars but never seen any first hand.
The engines are pretty gutless though, I hate driving it!

I've had 2 - a 2001my and a facelift 2007my
The 2001 common problems were -
Gearbox - Midlands gearboxes notorious for going wrong so budget for a recon as a precaution
Airbag warning lights - sliding front seats stretches the cable underneath causing the warning light to come on, BMW can supply an extended harness
Waterleaks - high level brake light leaks (remove, seal and refit), rear light units leak (remove, seal, refit), sunroofs leak
Knocking from rear over bumps - replace rear ARBs (£9 a pair from BMW - 1/2 hour to fit)

I replaced quite a bit of trim etc on both cars (i like my cars immaculate) and found genuine BMW parts to be quite reasonable

Timing chain problems were on the later Cooper S models (2007>) with the peugeot engines - the chains stretch, also common on 1 and 3 series BMWs

Have you tried getting into an original mini recently, Peter?
I'm not really flexible enough anymore :p
John :)

A customer of mine has one and he says its the worst car he has ever owned - don't know what the problems were though.

Sponsored Links
Back