Opinions wanted - How Bad Is This Pointing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you may guess, it's a new build. There's a lot of chipped bricks and what I feel is pretty poor pointing all round.

Or am I being a bit picky?

What's your view on the quality, or lack of?

Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_124704705.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230818_124704705.MP~2.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 224
Sponsored Links
The bedding looks reasonable, he's starting to struggle with the perps, getting worse with the external corners, and has just given up with the internals. Unless its more than one person has taken over.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Why is the lead flashing mastic sealed?

Wtf is going on inside corner?

Why is the lead flashing mastic sealed?
Because, if that's Lead Mate, then that's what is supposed to be used

That, however, is quite poor detailing and the sealant seems to have pulled away from the brickwork at the top, which could end up funnelling water down the back of the flashing

As you may guess, it's a new build. There's a lot of chipped bricks and what I feel is pretty poor pointing all round.

Or am I being a bit picky?

What's your view on the quality, or lack of?

Cheers
Looks like the brickies used formers up the corners, as there is evidence of retro' pointing there.

Over use of the brush whilst the mortar is still wet. Probably built in the cooler months.

Corbel former - ugly and laid during rain.

Absence of 'top 'n' tail on ANY the perp's.

Quite a lot of splashes. Probably a very busy corner.

All in all, not the worst I've seen. Those bricks look like they are quite hard so the faces would be exceptionally difficult to keep clean. We used a hard brick during the winter months once. Even though we selected the driest out of the pack, and even with the best muck, water still oozed out of the joints and rand down the faces of the brick. Impossible to keep the faces clean in this instance.

You have to do your best and clean them after.

he's starting to struggle with the perps
The layout of the bricks would have been a struggle for any brickie trying to fill that (larger than standard bond) gap with whole bonded bricks. You can see where the brickie has cheated by sneaking the internal half over a wee bit, in order to lessen the perp's.

The layout of the bricks would have been a struggle for any brickie trying to fill that (larger than standard bond) gap with whole bonded bricks. You can see where the brickie has cheated by sneaking the internal half over a wee bit, in order to lessen the perp's.
Why not just lay the four full brick courses without the over large perps where they join the internal corner. That sets the precedent for the size of the cut bricks in the other courses. Or is the brickie working to a strict dimensions where every new build has to be a certain external dimensions to accommodate other (internal?) design requirements?

Blup

Why not just lay the four full brick courses without the over large perps where they join the internal corner. That sets the precedent for the size of the cut bricks in the other courses. Or is the brickie working to a strict dimensions where every new build has to be a certain external dimensions to accommodate other (internal?) design requirements?

Blup
It's a case of faffing about with closures etc. It's ok stretching the half on that course, but you can't do the same on the alternate course.

It's just a sh1tty measurement to work with on a short run. On longer runs, you can avoid these issues.

I'm very glad to see that, if this is acceptable, then my self/youtube-taught DIY buggering about exceeds NHBC standards.

Obviously it was built in the wet weather and the brickie was due to leave for the day, the pointing looks like toothpaste as it was tooled while very wet. Plus he was using a bit of clamped on bar as a corner profile instead of a proper one, so had to daub some (very wet) cement into the joints after removing it.

You'd hope that the companies that flog houses for £100,000s each would employ the very best brickies and closely monitor standards, but this is definitely not the case. There's bugger all consumer protection for housebuyers and the housebuilders know it.

If this was being built as an extension onto someone's house then most homeowners would probably have sent them home after two courses.

Obviously the best answer would have been to build it better. But, given that it's already been built, then would brick acid now clean up the splashes on the brick faces and/or make the pointing a bit more normal looking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back