optima box + door contact

J

jeepster

hi all, previous owner of out house had the front door changed from a wooden one to a upvc one.

unfortunately ( i assume) when we changed the hall carpet we have found tucked in the corner a magnetic door contact wired to the alarm box in the downstairs loo.

i want to tidy this up, and extend the cable then put a diferent type of contact on suitable for a upvc door. so i have a couple of questions.

1) is wiring one one of these contacts standard.
2) if i cut the wires, then the alarm will sound, if i renter the alarm code after reconnecting the wires will the alarm stop sounding?
3) what should i expect to pay to get the alarm serviced and a new battery put into the box.

the wires to the door contact are . yellow, blue then a red and black that go to the same contact on the door contact.

Sponsored Links
Just buy a surface mount contact and keep the wiring the same as it is. No probs.

If you want to tidy it up for now then remove the contact and double twist both pairs together (red+ Black - Blue + yellow) and tape them separately. Then coil up the cable.

An alarm service with battery - about 60 quid.

hi joe, i was going to open the control panel to trip it to tamper, then enter the code then cut the wires.
the wires go through a wall into the hall way, but looks like they are stuck in the wall.

need to move them as renewing skirting / architrave.

when we had some plastering done the alarm went to tamper, and putting our code into it and then reset sorted it.

the guy that fitted our alarm when house was buildt wanted £160 to service it, then more to replace the battery and move the door contact.

dont suppose you are in south derbyshire

Sponsored Links
No sorry it's out of my area. It's only a DIY fix though. Nothing that you can't handle yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back