Options for inspection work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend on the same Domestic Installer course that I have just finished (with OLCI) has just signed up with the NICEIC scheme.
He's got to provide two pieces of work to be inspected and he's going to do his own CU and another extra socket in a bedroom for a friend.
He's contacted the local BUILDING CONTROL SERVICES of the CU change job and them and they will charge him £235 for the privilege.
Is this the case for the extra socket in the bedroom too?

Its something I am going to have to do soon and of course I want to avoid unnecessary costs if I can. Paying £470 on top of the £450+ for the NICEIC is more than I can afford. The OLCI have offered no advice other than tutors telling me what they did (many) years ago.

Thanks for any advice/pointers

Sponsored Links
Can you not just select work that would be non-notifiable or are you dependent on the BC to inspect?

Can you not just select work that would be non-notifiable or are you dependent on the BC to inspect?
If the purpose of the inspection is to confirm his suitability for the NICEIC self-cert scheme (which is really only relevent to notifiable work), wouldn't one expect that would require at least some of the work to be notifiable?

Kind Regards, John

Your best bet is probablly to ask the NICEIC what jobs they require but my suspiscion is they will want to see at least one major job and unless you can find a commercial premisis who are prepared to let you loose on their installation said job will probablly end up having to be notified to building control.

Sponsored Links
There is always the option of doing the work and then notifying it through NICEIC after you've become a member.

There is always the option of doing the work and then notifying it through NICEIC after you've become a member.

There is supposed to be a time limit (28 days?) from teh date of completion of the works by which time you are supposed to notify LABC.

Mind you, the date of completion could slip a bit as there may be one or two items still to finish off before it is fully "complete" ;)

Your big problem may be if you do the assessment and they don't let you in. (Don't worry, they will let you in. They want your WONGA!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back