Order Of Jobs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... but it's about more than one topic... (I plan to post in other forums when I know what comes in what order)

Anyway, long story short, I live in a large house which we own, and we have a spare flat at the top of the house which is currently doing nothing. It's in a pretty horrid condition, but I am sick of living out of my bedroom atm, so wan't to do the flat up.

EVERYTHING needs doing pretty much (Bathroom, Bedroom, Living Room, Kitchen, Hallway).

I am not sure of the condition of the floors yet as I haven't ripped the carpet up, but I would guess they'd be in ok, but not perfect condition.

So if I have to relay floors (or put wood over the existing floorboards), plasterboard the walls, fit in ceiling lights, add more electrical outlets, move positions of toilet/bath/shower/sinks etc

What order would I do it all in? I would guess strip everything completely, then sort the wiring/plumbing aspects, then the floors, then the walls?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for anything which sounds wrong/out of place (Pretty much DIY newb but I have the space and the time, so thought I might aswell do it myself with some help)

Sponsored Links
You're right about electrics. Please get this checked and anything remedied first. So many people come on the DIY forum telling us they have a problem but they dont wish to resolve it because they have just decorated.

Cheers Steve! Knocking up rough ideas of how I want finished flat to look so I know exactly where I am going to need wires etc coming from.

first and foremost - you need a (written) plan.

a plan of the kitchen (appliances, cab layout etc.)

bedrooms. (bed, rad, robes)

bathroom. (bath, toilet, bidet, rad)

utility. (w/m, t/d, sink)

lounge (furniture)

you need to decide on which way the doors will be hung.

floor finishes.

wall locations/alterations.

skirting board size.

windows. (opening sizes, opening lights, glazing design).

ventilation. (fans and ducts).

heating.

Sponsored Links
Dont forget.

Telephone points
Ethernet (network) points
Alarm system
Aerial points
circuit for a fridge/freezer (on its own / non RCD to prevent thaw-outs)
circuits for other large appliances.

Any other requirements you may have at this stage.

Dont forget.

Telephone points
Ethernet (network) points
Alarm system
Aerial points
circuit for a fridge/freezer (on its own / non RCD to prevent thaw-outs)
circuits for other large appliances.

Any other requirements you may have at this stage.

nearly up to 10k Crafty. ;)

Thanks again guys.

Skirting really that important? I thought that's just a thing you bang on near the end.

Although have had some weird ideas about the skirting anyway, such as somehow hinging and lock system so it can be lifted up to trail wires behind it? Doubt it'll work though.

Didn't even consider the circuits at all either Steve, thanks for pointing that one out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back