oregon chainsaw trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
Just bought a oregon 91 electric chainsaw secondhand,runs ok but chain is blunt,how can I tell what size chain it is?
it has Oregon 91 on the bar if that helps .
Id imagine lay the chain flat and measure end to end ?
Dont want to buy the wrong one! oh yes and is any paticular chain better than any other?
im looking to take down a tree but chain just smokes as it struggles to cut.
thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that richard,I did search google first but didnt try google shopping!
I know this sounds really dumn but even on the google link it has oregon 91 ,16 " and oregon 91 20' id guess it is the 16" but still not 100 % sure!
thanks again though,much appreciated.

I have a large petrol chainsaw with a 20 inch type 91 Oregon bar; type 91 is a standard 3/8” pitch & the 16 or 20 relates to the length of the bar or you can just count the number of links to get the correct chain but, if electric, I doubt it’s a 20. Try ebay for chains; a few shops there & much cheaper than buying local, usually around ½ price. ;)

Used regularly, chains need to be sharpened between 5-10 hours use to maintain efficiency or you will end up spending a fortune on chains but if your cutting down any tree to speak of, I fear your electric saw will struggle to cope, even with a new chain. :cry:

Above all BE CAREFULL, you can do an awful lot of damage to yourself with a chainsaw if inexperienced. DONT “undercut” using the top of the bar as there is a serious risk of kick back & that's the cause of most chainsaw accidents.

Sponsored Links
thanks richard,
I have counted them ,57 links in total and have ordered two off ebay ( half the price of b& q like you said!). Thanks again for your help rich,,much appreciated!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back