Organising garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorting garage. Thought that if I put as much on shelves as possible would be able to clear floor. In photo the ladder is taking up a lot of space. Is it worth putting it along bottom so touching floor to make space for shelves? Maybe with ladder hooks at ground level.

Is painting the floor a good idea? What paint of so

DSC_0285.JPG

Sponsored Links
Where you put the ladder is a personal preference. I have mine hung from the roof, out of the way and thus freeing up the wall for shelves & cupboards. It is suspended from 4 hooks like these, 2 at each end.

Ladder hooks.jpg

I also have a chain and padlock to secure it in place, just in case a thief breaks into the garage and tries to use the ladder for their criminal activities.

Painting the floor is a personal choice also, but unless the existing floor is very dusty I wouldn't bother. If you want to paint it for aesthetics, once is has been painted, it will need repainting from time to time to keep it looking nice. Should there have been any oil spills, or leaks etc., on the existing floor then they are difficult to get rid of completely and the paint won't adhere to them.

If dust rather than aesthetics is your concern, and you simply want to stop the surface creating dust, you could apply concrete sealer instead of paint. It won't chip and flake like paint and would also stop any future spills soaking in.

Sponsored Links
I work on old motor bikes and the best thing I ever did was to paint the garage white, then paint the floor.
I have old cabinets from work that were designed for a4 paper (so 12" wide and 2" deep drawers) that run all down one wall.
My ladders are outside but locked with a big chain- easier to cut the ladder than the chain

Where you put the ladder is a personal preference. I have mine hung from the roof, out of the way and thus freeing up the wall for shelves & cupboards. It is suspended from 4 hooks like these, 2 at each end.

View attachment 133608

I also have a chain and padlock to secure it in place, just in case a thief breaks into the garage and tries to use the ladder for their criminal activities.

Painting the floor is a personal choice also, but unless the existing floor is very dusty I wouldn't bother. If you want to paint it for aesthetics, once is has been painted, it will need repainting from time to time to keep it looking nice. Should there have been any oil spills, or leaks etc., on the existing floor then they are difficult to get rid of completely and the paint won't adhere to them.

If dust rather than aesthetics is your concern, and you simply want to stop the surface creating dust, you could apply concrete sealer instead of paint. It won't chip and flake like paint and would also stop any future spills soaking in.

The floor is really dusty. Might look into that concrete sealer stiff. Think the ceiling has asbetos, so not keen on putting ladders up there.

Might get a wardrobe or build one for garden petrol tools and Dewalt power tools. Think other stuff will be ok

I moved here in 1999.
One early Christmas I put the smaller of our cars in the garage. Never done it since.

I made and fixed large gallows brackets in my garage which houses all my more valuable and bulky electrical tools. Slung off the same gallows (I made the vertical leg of the gallows longer to suit) is more shelving lower down for frequent accessible everyday items such as veg, drinks etc.

In the picture in my first post thought about running the ladder on the same brackets but floor level on that wall and having a shelf at the height of the desk. Then build a box/chest thing with a door on it to put my Stihl and dewalt equipment (below the shelf). So hedge cutters, blower, chop saw and other woodwork stuff would be hidden inside. Maybe with a hole in hidden end so a long hedge cutter can poke through. There are always people who live in the block driving past my garage . That chest would hide what most thieves want- power tools. The mower would be on full display and the plastic boxes (as in picture) but no one would be interested in those boxes would they? And I don't know how to hide a mower.

I like your black and decker workmate that you've cleverly converted to a wardrobe :ROFLMAO:

Your step ladders need to get more dirty following some serious DIY.

You Workmate will probably break before it gets anymore dirty/worn, given the way they are made these days.

View attachment 133608

I did some work for a guy who
Garages are for storing a few hundred quids worth of garden tools and furniture whilst the 20 grand motor sits outside in all weathers.

But theyre insured.

Anyone know a cheap chest thing from B and q or somewhere? I could stick powertools in there.

Sponsored Links
Back