Ornimental ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an Ornimental ceiling rose which is maybe 30mm thick and I would like to add a light pendant to it. I have two situations:-

1. The light pendant is not too heavy.
What kind of screw should I use to hang the light pendant? Is there a special type of screw used for this type of ornamental plaster ?

2. The light pendant is heavy
As it is heavy I will need to screw through the ornamental light pendant into the joist. Can you give me tips on how to find the joist (I don't have the option of taking the floor boards off). Also what type of screws to use.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question is in the wrong category. Which one should I post to?

Thanks,
Mesh

Sponsored Links
A1) If only lightweight then rawl plugs
A2) It would be difficult to locate the joist without having access to floor above, it is possible that there is not one to fix to. But locating joist does not mean the floor has to come up, if the floor is the original floorboard you maybe able to locate the fixing nails/screws, that should lead you to where joist run. Then a bit of quality measuring and luck, you can locate from below. So options are hollow wall anchors or spring toggles.

Thanks for the quick response.

I did not know what a rawl plug was - needed to google it :)

In the heavy case and no joist, is there an option of drilling through the ornamental rose and then the ceiling and putting some type if heavy duty plug in with a long screw?

Sponsored Links
Thanks will look into the hollow wall anchors and spring toggles.

I did not know what a rawl plug was - needed to google it :)
I think you need quite a lot of general DIY learning.

I suggest you invest in a few of the DIY "encyclopædias" e.g. Which? Reader's Digest, Collins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back