Ottoman Gas Struts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have an ottoman superking bed frame that is lifted from the end of the bed by 4 gas struts rated at 800N each. This was fine with our old mattress (40kg), but we've just taken delivery of a new mattress that comes in at 80kg and the existing struts/mechanism can't lift the mattress without a lot of effort.

Is it just a case of replacing the existing struts with stronger ones (say 1200N) or is a new mechanism required too? I'm happy to fit any new parts and even strengthen the base where the mechanism is attached, I just need to know what to buy.

Any help appreciated and happy new year!

Sponsored Links
I’d just go with the uprated struts.....so long as they are the same length!
Unfortunately it’s a bit difficult to tell if they will be strong enough but my guess is they would be.
HNY!
John

i have used these for a few projects just email what you need.

My bed has a dunlopillow mattress and lifts with struts. The mattress is bloody heavy
I tried to turn my bed through 90° in the room so took the mattress off. Then the top opened and I tried everything to shut it.
it was like a huge mousetrap in reverse!
pin the end I had to use a ratchet strap as a winch to get it shut.
Then tied it shut until the mattress went back on.

take care

Sponsored Links
Just an update for those that might be in the same position... I eventually went with these which I fitted yesterday. The new mechanism now lifts the 80kg mattress a lot easier. I went with 4 x 1250N struts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back