Ouch! Stuck Nuts!

Thanx for your reply ... very much appreciated. :D

Will try as you suggested...worth a go...

Will let you know how i get on

Thanx again

Softus said:
Piece of wood no good methinks.

I would get a decent adjustable wrench and fit them over the spout. If you get a good fit such they don't slide, then the chrome won't mark (and even if it does it will be very slight and not show up, given the general shininess of the chrome).

There's no easy way to convey, in writing, the physical technique required to release a stuck nut - once you know the force required for a particular gauge of nut and type of fitting, you know how much you can apply and what shape to get your body into. This is one of those situations where all the technical plumbing in the world doesn't help; either you you've learned enough to do it or you haven't. Sorry I can't be of more help, but you might just need a professional for this - at least it won't be for a few years though!

Sponsored Links
Nico said:
Hi All..

My hot kitchen tap washer needs replacing.....easy job.....hmphh :mad:

Removed the cap and tried to undo the gland nut.....while supporting the tap in every way possible...... :evil:

The thing won't move......have tried lubricating (oooeerr) it with no movement whatsoever.

Anyone have any tips apart from move house! ;)

Thanx
  • When I was apprentised we had to "Break" New taps before fitting them. in other words undo them

I'm convinced some manufacturers deliberately overtighten to prevent valve renewal.

I've often broken down new taps to use just the valves - even in a vice it can be a struggle.

When I was apprentised we had to "Break" New taps before fitting them. in other words undo them

hi.... tried to do that with the new taps i bought.....it just won't shift.... :cry:

Don't want to put them on new and stuck than old and stuck and having to replace the whole tap again. :evil:

Am going 2 end up with more taps than a tap supplier :confused:

Sponsored Links
Gasguru said:
I'm convinced some manufacturers deliberately overtighten to prevent valve renewal.

I've often broken down new taps to use just the valves - even in a vice it can be a struggle.

I totally agree with you...have tried the vice and the only thing i have managed to move is my hernia! :LOL:

Here's a tip to get some heat into it without a blowtorch. Wrap a tea towel around it and pour boiling water on to the tea towel. Just drip a kettle full on to it over 3-4 minutes. Incidentally I use the same trick to revive a dead battery on a cold morning

Hi ... tried that....didn't work :cry:

Am sure my neighbours think i am refurbishing my kitchen..all the clunking and banging... :eek:

Dread if they ever came to my door to see what i had done to my kitchen and all they would get would be me pointing to a tap :LOL:

Slugbabydotcom said:
Here's a tip to get some heat into it without a blowtorch. Wrap a tea towel around it and pour boiling water on to the tea towel. Just drip a kettle full on to it over 3-4 minutes. Incidentally I use the same trick to revive a dead battery on a cold morning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back