Our church is closing

Sponsored Links
I heard on the news a few days ago that the fastest growing religion is Paganism. :eek: :eek: :eek: (Whether that was just in the UK or not, I don't remember.) Given that Paganism isn't exactly a mainstream religion right now, that's not really saying a lot but it did make me sit up and take notice.

My limited knowledge of history tells me that a few hundred years ago - which is a mere blink of an eye in evolutionary time - religion was a very important part of most people's lives. So much so that Henry VIII felt unable to divorce any of his wives without God's permission. You would think that, being king, he could do whatever he wanted but no. Even kings bowed down to a supernatural deity. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (The fact that he cheated by creating his own church is beside the point. ;) ;) ;) )

How things have changed. To me, the rise in Paganism is symptomatic of a steady decline in the need for other religions. I would also suggest that it demonstrates a loss in either the need for, or belief in, an afterlife.

This is perhaps no bad thing. I will concede that religions in general did more good than harm at a time when there was little else by way of law and order (and certainly no Geneva Convention) but their time is surely coming to an end. Our species is growing up and, slowly, learning how to organise itself without recourse to rules supposedly laid down by any extra-terrestrial authority. :cool: :cool: :cool:

In any case those rules are, all too often, abused by corrupt politicians to further their own ends - and if they can't find what they want in some holy text, they make a few more up. :evil: :evil: :evil: It's no accident that most, if not all, religions are obsessed with sex. Esther Rantzen once said that, if she was God, she would bad all religion. I had to agree. :) :) :)

there is a witches coven not far from me where they meet up and dance around a circle in someones garden.

Sponsored Links
Religion as an institution is out of date and no longer relevant, people are starting to realise this. End of.

Back