Our never ending bathroom project [pics]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: Almost 3 months on and we are finally nearing completion.

So I thought I'd share the last few months slog with you all and say thanks for the great advice you've all given (which I haven't always followed :oops: ).

I'll post up pics of the completed bathroom after Wednesday which is the plumbers last day ...then it's bath time!!!!! :LOL: hurray!!!

NewBathroomStage1A.jpg

NewBathroomStage1B.jpg

NewBathroomStage2A.jpg

NewBathroomstage2B.jpg

NewBathroomStage3A.jpg

NewBathroomStage3B.jpg

and these were taken yesterday...

NewBathroomStage4A.jpg

NewBathroomStage4B.jpg

Almost there :rolleyes:

In case anyone was wondering if I was a bit stinky after 3 months of not having a bath, it's ok we have a shower room downstairs ;)

Sponsored Links
Looks good Amanda!

You're lucky having another shower room. Our bathroom took nearly 5 months to do as we had nowhere else to wash :cry:

Meant we couldn't pull everything out and I had to work around everything. Not ideal but a necessity.

Looks like yours will look fantastic when it's done.

Thanks Bon,

Flippin eck 5 months :eek: and I was getting impatient having to use a chamber pot for 2 weeks!! The toilet was the first thing we had installed :confused:

Yeah it did get a bit tiring towards the end. It was converting a cupboard off the bathroom into a walk-in shower that impacted our timescale the most.

After building the new stud walls and Aquapanelling the shower and plasterboarding the other areas, getting the waste in etc we stripped everything we could around the existing suite.

The actual changeover with the new suite only took a weekend!

We also had to put a new cistern in the loft to feed the shower pump as the existing one was too small and in the airing cupboard so the shower wouldn't gravity-flow.

Been in a few months now and still working A-OK (crosses fingers!!)

Sponsored Links
I think it looks great, Amanda. I particularly like the t & g boarding. Did you use single boards, or the mdf stuff?

Thanks Nick,

We used the single boards. Once the battens were up it was quite a therapeutic job. Just me and radio 4 and I was away :) and only hit my thumb once or twice.

Trying to get my OH motivated was the biggest job! We could only worked at the weekends and he would lose interest after a few hours :mad: but he redeemed himself with the tiling. He did a sterling job, really professional. (Ignore the bottom 3 rows of the bit where the shower is going to go cos these will be hidden behind the plinth and he couldn't be a*$ed staggering them!)

Thermo said:
very nice, but you need a bath in there! :LOL:

:D Should have one of those by tomorrow Thermo if all goes according to plan.

Hope I've not gone 'n jinxed it! :eek:

Well, I'm very impressed. Had you thought of writing to a magazine and asking if they'd like to buy an article on how you did it? I'm sure other people would appreciate your tips. For example, I see you have quite a large mirrored cabinet on a plasterboard wall (above the washbasin). I assume you screwed this into the wooden supports, etc, etc.

:LOL: Not to worry Nick, the sink and the cabinet are attached to 5x5cm timber studs and the front is 12mm ply not plasterboard (tho' the sides are).

Just waiting in now for our plumber to arrive. He's got an awful lot to do today including fitting up a D-shaped shower :eek: rather him than me...that thing scares me.

As to writing in to a magazine, I'm not sure how I want to reveal how I've done things :oops: as I am the Queen of botch!!!

amandaclegg said:
:LOL:
As to writing in to a magazine, I'm not sure how I want to reveal how I've done things :oops: as I am the Queen of botch!!!

Aren't most of us :D? (Leaving out all the wonderful professionals who kindly give us advice in this forum.)

:( The D-shaped shower has flummaxed the plumber so not quite finished.

But we have a working bath and sink now hurrah :D

I need to phone the Sloegrin helpline tomorrow to see if they can offer a bit of advice.

Watch this space...

I'm intrigued by "the D-shaped shower"!

I take it the flat edge presses up to the wall and there's a curved door-type arrangement?

I notice from the pics you've tiled down to the floor, would this not cause a problem with water running down the back of the tray?

Bon said:
I'm intrigued by "the D-shaped shower"!

I take it the flat edge presses up to the wall and there's a curved door-type arrangement?

I notice from the pics you've tiled down to the floor, would this not cause a problem with water running down the back of the tray?

I'm hoping the silicon will stop that :confused:

Here is the shower:

d-shapesloglarge.gif

The Doors slide so it won't take up too much room :)

Looks :cool: and will make a nice feature.

Re the water problem, I usually get my lads on site to get in there first and site the shower try leaving the tiler no option but to tile down to the tray and then hodl the phone in the air while their gaffer is having a moan at me :LOL:

I'd imagine that would be quite difficult with your tray though due to the curved edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back