Out Building 30m2 floor area internal or external?

Extract from Statutory Instrument 2010 No 2214 - The Building Regulations 2010 (England & Wales)

“floor area” means the aggregate area of every floor in a building or extension, calculated by reference to the finished internal faces of the walls enclosing the area, or if at any point there is no such wall, by reference to the outermost edge of the floor;
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/made

Does this definition of floor area no longer apply, or might the OP be in a different part of UK?

Sorry, you got there before me.
I wish I knew .. Why can't they just make things easy and use the words internal or external!

Sponsored Links
Let's say a cavity wall setup is about 30 cms wide... You could have a 6m by 5m floor area, AND a 30 cm 'band' around the outside of it to stick the walls on. Clearer?

Let's say a cavity wall setup is about 30 cms wide... You could have a 6m by 5m floor area, AND a 30 cm 'band' around the outside of it to stick the walls on. Clearer?

Yes alot clearer thank you so basically it is the usable internal space contained within the walls.. That is more or less exactly what I'm going for, 6*5 internal floor with a 30cm cavity wall ( and just to be safe also taking into account the patio doors as these would increase floor area) hmm there seems to be so much confusion over this even with professionals :eek:

Extract from Statutory Instrument 2010 No 2214 - The Building Regulations 2010 (England & Wales)

“floor area” means the aggregate area of every floor in a building or extension, calculated by reference to the finished internal faces of the walls enclosing the area, or if at any point there is no such wall, by reference to the outermost edge of the floor;
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/made

Does this definition of floor area no longer apply, or might the OP be in a different part of UK?

Sorry, you got there before me.

Hi would you mind just saying whereabouts that is stated in the text - I can only see this is schedule 2, which confusingly doesnt explain what floor area means:

CLASS 6
Small detached buildings
1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a)no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b)which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

cheers Notch

Sponsored Links
Hi would you mind just saying whereabouts that is stated in the text - I can only see this is schedule 2, which confusingly doesnt explain what floor area means:

CLASS 6
Small detached buildings
1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a)no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b)which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

cheers Notch
Screenshot_20200406-181441_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200406-181457_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200406-181457_Samsung Internet.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 225
With all this confusion I have just called complete building control Birmingham and managed to get the mobile numbers of two of their building control officers who cover my local area. I was told it is 30m2 internal. I actually called both lol and its deffinatly internal floor area for those who are under the assumption that its external. Thank you to all you guys who have responded! I've always browse this site for information but never actually put up a post. Think I will be using it more often!

It's very near the beginning of that link to the Statutory Instrument:
Part 1 (General) - 2 Interpretation - "floor area" is about 16th item in the list.

I hope it hasn't been changed, because my current "self-isolating" task is construction of a wooden shed that will be within a whisker of 30m2 internal area.

I hope it hasn't been changed, because my current "self-isolating" task is construction of a wooden shed that will be within a whisker of 30m2 internal area.

Yes, Ive built a shed combined with a garden office / cabin that is 29.85 square meters internally!

I built my cabin with a shallow glazed lantern -it was pretty hard to get it below 2.5m from ground level. I managed to get the apex to around 2550 with an internal flat ceiling height of 2150. (I think I could just about find a piece of ground that makes it 2500 at a push!) I built it 1.1m from the boundary so no need for non combustible materials.

It's very near the beginning of that link to the Statutory Instrument:
Part 1 (General) - 2 Interpretation - "floor area" is about 16th item in the list.

You will be fine. I actually emailed Birmingham Council who advised ego I need to contact and I've spoken to 3 building reg officers (one who is fairly high up) who all advised for building regs it's internal floor area. Just be mindful that any door (depending on whether you are building from block cavity which your are not) would increase the floor area slightly.

Yes, Ive built a shed combined with a garden office / cabin that is 29.85 square meters internally!

I built my cabin with a shallow glazed lantern -it was pretty hard to get it below 2.5m from ground level. I managed to get the apex to around 2550 with an internal flat ceiling height of 2150. (I think I could just about find a piece of ground that makes it 2500 at a push!) I built it 1.1m from the boundary so no need for non combustible materials.

My internal height is what also concerns me. Did you have any issues with it being 2550? This is my first build and I don't know how fussy an inspector would be if it ever come to one coming round. I doubt someone having to nock a building down because it's 5cm over the height but I was told that anything above 2.5m then becomes a planning issue and not building regs...would you say an internal ceiling height of 2150 is adequate?

My biggest issue would be getting the fall right and was thinking of adding firring strips but I'm just conscious of the overall height. Hmmm decisions decisions!

Also, be mindful of this requirement (from planning portal)
the floor area of the garage is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, provided the garage is at least one metre from any boundary, or it is constructed substantially of non-combustible materials.

I have seen elsewhere that brick/slate/tile is considered substantially non combustible, but would EPDM? If you can keep >1m away from the boundary it's not an issue. If you are within and you do it without BC and someone complains it might get flagged. If you can get >2m away from the boundary you can go up to 4m ridge with 2.5m eaves.

Also, be mindful of this requirement (from planning portal)

I have seen elsewhere that brick/slate/tile is considered substantially non combustible, but would EPDM? If you can keep >1m away from the boundary it's not an issue. If you are within and you do it without BC and someone complains it might get flagged. If you can get >2m away from the boundary you can go up to 4m ridge with 2.5m eaves.

I did ask the officer regarding this and he told me a flat roof with felt would be fine and so would edpm rubber, apparently there are edpm rubber suppliers that provide fire rated rubber roof.. I also questioned the word "substantial" and was told its around 75% of the building so fingers crossed aslong as I follow the guidelines I shouldn't have any problems hopefully :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back