Out Side Bulkhead Pir

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok just bin out and got a new bulkhead pir light 250w max 60w bulb for out side my front door and i wont to wire it into the consumer unit just inside the front door.

? do i use 3 core flex for going in the CU or would it be beter to wire in 3 core t&e, the wire would be 1.5mm into the ligts 6amp mcb in the CU.

Asking this because its going into the CU and if i was going to a plug socket i would use 3 core flex with a plug on.

Cheers P.C

Sponsored Links
Cheers M8, if it had come to it thats the way i would of gone but its beter to be 100% off somone that knows.

Cheers Again.

Sponsored Links
A up Crafty ? would it be ok to run a 1 gang 1 way switch inline with the feed from the CU to switch the light off when i need to say chang the bulb.

useing 1mm grey t&e cabal.

Yes thats fine, lives to the connections on the switch, and neutrals joined to each other, same with earths.

Crafty, which reg states that flex must not be used in a consumer unit?
Just interested, not argueing! would just like to see it thats all :)

I suppose round flex supplying a fixed load (washing machine, heater etc from a 10/16A MCB) nearby could be allowed. But for what the OP wants, flex shouldn't be used - he is wiring a fixed light and a lightswitch and all the wiring is fixed. Twin and earth is the more appropriate choice here, IMO.

now i think on, i seem to remember a short loop of flex coming out of the TP+N distribution board at work, supplying a bell transformer underneath it.

I dont think any regs support my original statement, and it is allowed after all. :oops:

No probs, just confused and would've liked a reference if one existed, Always stick to good practice tho even if it goes beyond the regs :)

Cheers Chaps, fitted it today and all whent well and working ok .

Only thing is the Sencer comes on at the end of the path when anyone walks by. It says in the pir hand book that on low it go's down to 2 mtr's only when i got the tape out it is 7 meters 23 foot.

? How can i get the thing to go down any more, maybe put some clear plastic over the sencer hmm. :confused:

The sens is down to 0 and wont go any more, the other way and it will go up to 8mtr's no good.

Arso when fittig it i tryed the lux and it would not go off, it was getting a bit dark but i think it should have switched off and when turnd up a little it should of come on.

Maybe it need to go back to the shop and changed as it ant working right.

Just bin out and fixed the censer, put some black tape round the top of the sencer and now you have to get about 4 foot from the door befor it lights up job dune.

Just hope now it downt come on in the day light loll.

Dellsmp said:
No probs, just confused and would've liked a reference if one existed, Always stick to good practice tho even if it goes beyond the regs :)
indeed, and i had a look today, the flex i was on about goes through a FCU before the bell tranny - so i assume cable was used in the actual DB.

Regulation 521-01-04

A flexible cable or flexible cord shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant provisions of the Regulations are met.

securespark said:
Regulation 521-01-04

A flexible cable or flexible cord shall be used for fixed wiring only where the relevant provisions of the Regulations are met.
quit saying that!!!! i heard you on the other thread. i will go and crawl back into my corner now. :oops: :(

Well you lot can go on about reg'd and all that but me had to take the bulkhead back to the shop today as the thing wouldent go off in the day, it would come on in day light and u couldent tun it off and set the lux up.

Anyways i took it back and got a new one and put that up, think this one is ok as its doing what it says in the hand book so far so good.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back