Outdoor lantern with integrated switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do they still exist?
I had them in my previous house and now I would like one in the alleyway but I want to avoid passing too many cables.
The wall where it would go has got a socket on the other side, previously used for tumble dryer, so no problems powering it.
I just can't find them.
This is what I mean by lantern, in case they've changed name.
Screenshot_20230127-173748_Samsung Internet.jpg
I don't mind other styles, as long as they don't cost a kidney.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
An integral switch would need a lot of protection from dirt and damp.

You might consider a dawn-to-dusk photocell, or an indoor lightswitch with timer and light detection.

Modern LED lighting uses so little electricity, and is so cheap to run, that I don't think its worthshile spending much money on controls.

Just fitted three, one with integral LED's, used an adaptor socket wifi linked to turn on/off, other two smart bulbs, first one was £4 the other two cost £2 each biggest cost was the bulbs at nearly £9 each.

Not sure on the idea of switching on with my phone, but PIR's were useless.

It seems you can now set up bulbs with a dusk to dawn with a off period between them, but nothing was the advert, it was pure luck picking up on TCP smart bulb.

It seems you can also get remote controls, which seem great, but maybe my age 72, but had a right time trying to get them to program in, then no change in what I was doing and it worked.

I would wait for other replies.

Sponsored Links
Just fitted three, one with integral LED's, used an adaptor socket wifi linked to turn on/off, other two smart bulbs, first one was £4 the other two cost £2 each biggest cost was the bulbs at nearly £9 each.

Not sure on the idea of switching on with my phone, but PIR's were useless.

It seems you can now set up bulbs with a dusk to dawn with a off period between them, but nothing was the advert, it was pure luck picking up on TCP smart bulb.

It seems you can also get remote controls, which seem great, but maybe my age 72, but had a right time trying to get them to program in, then no change in what I was doing and it worked.

I would wait for other replies.
I'm old school, I just want a wall light with a switch.

The problem with an integrated switch is to have enough distance between your fingers and live parts to ensure water can't result in you getting a shock, at one point we used earthed metal on outside switches, but the TN-C-S supplies and dangers with loss of PEN means that is no longer considered safe.

So there needs to be some method to keep distance, using a pull cord seems the easy way, found this 1674906631987.pngbut rather expensive and no IP rating, same with this 1674906855936.pngsays suitable for bathroom, but not sure on using outside. I got my white carriage plastic outdoor lamps for £2 each on sale at Link, OK cost £9 each for the smart bulbs I used in them, and when not on sale similar lamps likely £10 each, but paying £60 for outdoor lamps made of steel or aluminium which you know will only last a few years before they look old and tatty does not seem to make sense.

I think switches built into lamps is asking for problems.

Wouldn't a more 'normal' switch inside be better?

I have a light outside my front door. It would seem most peculiar having to go out to turn it on and off - even more so if it were some distance away.

The demand for such a switched light would be tiny and nobody would put one on the market.
if you modified one, you are on your own

Only thing I can think of is a portable rechargeable lamp like I have. It has a switch and is LED flood
you could feed it with a 12v or whatever from the charger?

although it’s not the carriage lamp type

only other idea is to buy a housing but convert it to 12v or so power. Then fit a weather proof membrane type switch somewhere and either power through the wall on low voltage (or ELV according to some pedants)

However it’s a lot of hassle

Last edited:
I too struggle with the desire to go outside to turn your outside light on. Maybe that's why they dont make them!

It's in the alleyway.
I get out of the back door and the switch for the lights just out in the garden is inside.
Then as I get to the alleyway I need the light there.
Having a switch inside would mean chasing walls which have been recently decorated.
I think from your answers that the only option is to fit an outdoor switch.
Thanks everyone

You could turn them both on from the same switch.

It's in the alleyway.
I get out of the back door and the switch for the lights just out in the garden is inside.
Then as I get to the alleyway I need the light there.
Having a switch inside would mean chasing walls which have been recently decorated.
I think from your answers that the only option is to fit an outdoor switch.
Thanks everyone
Ok. fit a PIR above the back door. Then the light will come on when you exit the door at night time.
If you have separate switch you’ll sometimes forget to turn it off.

Ok. fit a PIR above the back door. Then the light will come on when you exit the door at night time.
If you have separate switch you’ll sometimes forget to turn it off.
I thought about a pir, but often I wash boots and tools in the butler sink there, so that's why I needed a switch.
Having the pir set at 10 minutes would be a waste of energy when I (or a cat) just pass by and I don't need the light.
Looks like the only solution is to have a separate switch below the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back