Outdoor PIR pet "immunity" (Pyronix XDL12TT-AM)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I was buying the best Outdoor PIR sensor for residential purposes, the expensive Pyronix XDL12TT-AM PIR with "tri-signal" technology (IR and Microwave). They are marketed as offering up to 24Kg pet immunity. I'm getting false alarms caused by the local rascal, probably weighing 5Kg. There doesn't appear to be a pet immune adjustment setting. Only beam length and height adjustment. The sensitivity is set to Auto (instead of High) but still I get a false alarm most nights (backed up by CCTV in some cases). Yes, I can adjust the mount angle but then I won't be able to detect a crouching intruder.

What are people's experiences of such sensors? Is pet immunity generally over-marketed BS? I have 6 of these and invested a lot of time and energy into installing them around the perimeter of the house, all of them have a similar problem. I really hope there is a hidden adjustment. Need to find a solution.

1668876977721.png

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check installation setup sensitivity. Look at YouTube video on how to setup.

Sponsored Links
Have you adjusted the MW accordingly?
See below but adjusting the MW too much reduces the beam range. Which I don't want.
Check installation setup sensitivity. Look at YouTube video on how to setup.
Was aware of this video a year ago but relied on the wordless instructions in the end. In terms of a "sensitivty" setting there is only Auto (default) or High via dip switch. The other adjustments are beam length and angle.
What height is it set at ?
All my sensors are mounted between 2 and 2.5m high. I've screwed up here, clearly. Didn't pay too much attention to where I got the builders to take out the wiring. But now I'm here, it looks like I have to play with the Elevation Angle setting?

In any case guys, even if the unit is mounted wrong, what I'm seeing is that pet immunity is failing 50% of the time thanks to an average sized cat! This shouldn't be the case based on the marketing. Logically, I shouldn't have to play around with the heights and angles to gain an advantage against a cat. The detector should "see" right through it.

1668891947376.png

The height of the device when using pet tolerant is critical.
The beam pattern will not work correctly, the microwave balloon will not work correctly.
Adjust the height of one of your devices,then setup correctly and see your issues disappear.

I can't. Adjusting the height of the installation will ruin the external walls. The cables come out of rendered walls at the front/back and lovely brick work on the side. I really can't be extending and running conduits down my house.

If it was that critical they should make it clear. The XD brackets angle down by 45 degrees, this gives the impression it's a valid config to mount high and point down. This was a thorough rebuild property. I committed to wiring/mount positions a year ago.

All I can do is fudge my way out of it now with the elevation angle angle and hope for the best.

Think it does make it clear on mounting height , whoever put the cables in got it wrong !

2m-2,5 m high,the plan /angle of the beams are wrong.These will always false alarm.
Reading instructions before installation always helps.....
Most external devices always recommend a mounting height.

Appreciate the frustration but you’ve mounted the kit way too high. That’s what’s causing the false alarms.

Would it be a big job to drop the cabling by a half metre to metre?

Thanks guys, never had to worry about pets in doors so did the same thing here without understanding how important height is to pet immune sensors. Wiring was done well before committing to the XDL12TTs. Hence wires come out where they do. The house is complete now inside/out. The render simply doesn't allow me to get away with repositioning the mounts without leaving a bunch of ugly looking holes behind and a bloody mess.
I was hoping to play with the beam angle today but got stuck doing something else. If that fails, might be another way out for me...I'm mounting cameras right next to the detectors. Using a bit of camera AI, I think I can counteract false alarms. Camera AI has come along way.
Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back