Outdoor security light question

Again many thanks all

I need a tough vandal resistant light, with a vandal resistant PIR + with a light that is gonna be bright.

The screwfix product ticks the vandal resistance boxes BUT only offers a potential 60W light max..........the trouble is i don't think that's enough. I need a light fitting that is gonna be bright to put off the kids hanging around the rear of the house. I don't think a 60W GLS bulb is gonna provide enough light to deter kids.........it's gonna be more of a background light almost. I think a 100W bulb would be more of a deterrant.

I must make it clear that the back of the house is pitch black, no other light at all- therefore the requirement for a tough but bright light.

Sponsored Links
Then I still think you need some dawn-to-dusk CFLs, and one or more PIR floods when intruders appear.

In pitch black, a 60W or equivalent seeems quite bright.

There's no law that says you can only have one lamp on your house

Makes sense JohnD

Go with the dawn till dusk bulkheads offering some background light...............but what PIR Floodlight can i get that won't be broken by the kids?

put it high up

I've seen some round the back of a supermarket with wire mesh cages round them

Sponsored Links
The problem is that PIR and low energy don't generally go together, becuase low energy isn't really suited to frequenct switching on for short durations, not only does it wear the lamps out, but they take a little while to reach full brightness and also the amount of time they are on for...if you insist on PIR then you may as well use a filament lamp, the extra running costs be be negliable for the duration PIR lamps generally run for!

But you may as well let a low energy fitting run through the night!

If you have that 26w fitting and its on for say 8 hours a day, then thats
8 x 0.026 = 0.208 kwh/day
=> 0.208 x 365 = 75.92 kwh/year
and asusming power is 8p/kwh then
=>75.92 x £0.08 = £6/year to run

If like me, your electricty goes over to cheap rate at night, then it'll be even cheaper

CEF are doing a pir light now with a cfl inside it.about 26watts i think.they are the sole distributors for it which accounts for why some havent seen it(cef a bit dear imo)it pukka though lights up the whole shop.instant brightness too

It's the same type of lamp as any old eco flood, but can be retro fitted into a standard floodlight.

I think eco floods are great, and fit more of those than I do old style 500W fittings these days.

none of that noddy period to warm up properly.unlike the noddy cfl in my hallway

I'd say a 500w floodlight with PIR mounted HIGH up

I think sombody said that before, but that is the best suggestion because of problems with switching CFLs on and off.

Well - whatever light you put up, I'm sure the kids will be very grateful for you making it easier for them to see what they are doing...

You also need to improve your fences and get more sharp-spiked bushes. Berberis and holly are good.
And Firethorn (Pyracantha) - genuinely impassable.

Again thanks for the advice........

I can't fence +/or plant bushes at this property because of a whole host of problems. It's a terraced property, through access between property's (wide enough for a car), concrete to whole of rear area, easy access from rear wall + from both neighbours property. If you fenced anything off they'd strip the fencing for fire wood..........................ie - it's not a nice area.

To secure the rear area you would have to put in weld-mesh all round.

So i'm gonna try the lights first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back