Outdoor socket advice

So what would be the difference between a qualified person and a keen diy'er to fit an outdoor socket here be?

Morg this comment by you would suggest that you think a qualified person would not add any value. Clearly you are lacking in knowledge in this area yet you still imply that a qualified electrician would not do better than a "keen diy'er".

Are you really surprised if some electricians resent your comments.

Sponsored Links
selectric-lg838-35met-gang-35mm-deep-7493-7433.jpg

You can also get one of these if you don't want to chop the wall out.

View media item 24789

Thanks holmslaw, I take it that plastic box is surface mounted?

If so, the existing cable that is there now is tighter than a nuns.... :LOL:
There isn't much play, I think I would struggle stretching the cable even 1cm more or so

cheers

Morg

I see nothing insulting about my posts - neither have the mods or else I'm sure they would have deleted them, sought to ban me or closed the thread. I have just asked if you were going to test.

I haven't "banged on about my test meter" - if you had read my posts you would see that I haven't even mentioned if I have a test meter. As it happens I have several different ones, all annually calibrated so I can prove that any work I do, and any that others have done is safe.

Perhaps you should see it that I and many other professionals that occasionally give advice to this forum are concerned for DIYers safety. Testing is as integral to safety as safe isolation is.

Just because your sockets work when you have connected them all up (as I'm sure they will) it doesn't mean they are safe.

Sponsored Links
Test equipment, even if purchased brand new can still be much more cost effective than a funeral and saves all those awkward questions too.

Morg

I see nothing insulting about my posts - neither have the mods or else I'm sure they would have deleted them, sought to ban me or closed the thread. I have just asked if you were going to test.

I haven't "banged on about my test meter" - if you had read my posts you would see that I haven't even mentioned if I have a test meter. As it happens I have several different ones, all annually calibrated so I can prove that any work I do, and any that others have done is safe.

Perhaps you should see it that I and many other professionals that occasionally give advice to this forum are concerned for DIYers safety. Testing is as integral to safety as safe isolation is.

Just because your sockets work when you have connected them all up (as I'm sure they will) it doesn't mean they are safe.

ok mate, I'm sorry for my comments and I don't want any hard feelings, I'm just trying to do my best for what I can afford... I posted this thread hoping to gain insight on what needs to be done correctly, or at least to a certain standard. I might not be able to test as a qualified electrician would do, but at least I have taken all the advice given to me on board.

And I know your passionate about this and i know there is no malicious intent from your posts, you just want an install done right, which is fair enough really from an all trades-man point of view, I understand that.

I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else and thanks again for everyone who have given me the advice, time and effort in helping me out, cheers.

If you want to give me advice on testing my own install, then feel free,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm

Thanks
:confused:

But I cannot afford expensive testing equipment.
logoEbay_x45.gif

Thanks

:)

Test equipment, even if purchased brand new can still be much more cost effective than a funeral and saves all those awkward questions too.

Oh come on mate, enough is enough now.

So what would be the difference between a qualified person and a keen diy'er to fit an outdoor socket here be?

Morg this comment by you would suggest that you think a qualified person would not add any value. Clearly you are lacking in knowledge in this area yet you still imply that a qualified electrician would not do better than a "keen diy'er".

Are you really surprised if some electricians resent your comments.

That was not my intention either mike to insult anyone of that status, I have the uttermost respect for electricians.

I would love to be able to achieve that status, but sadly my confidence lets me down.

would love to do what you guys do deep in my heart

I think the inportant thing to remember, on reading this thread, is that you want to do it safely. This is good but you must test it to with the right testering equipment to make sure any safety devices can actually operate.

a months wage? anyway, resale after completing the job will get you 90% of your cash back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back