Outdoor socket advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-nexus-13a-2g-dp-switched-socket/67928 and was going to use 2.5 T&E cable. The cable will be coming out through a wall and I intend to use the bottom entry point. My question(s) are: Is it better to use T&E or normal round 13A cable? Should I use a plastic cable gland or would one of these do? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301227948423?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT which I already have. The cable will be coming out of the wall and going straight into the socket.

P.S. The instruction say that if using the top or sides knockouts to drill a drain hole in the bottom but if using the bottom entry NOT to drill a drain hole. This doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought a drain hole was essential.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
2.5mm² will be fine.
Can you not enter straight into the back and seal? Use outdoor black flex if visible and exposed.
Gland or grommet is up to you.

I presume their thinking is that if it is bottom entry then no water will enter - so drill drain hole or keep an eye on it.

I can enter from the back and seal, probably the best way.
It is what everybody else does. there's no point having a cable exposed to elements if you do not have to.
Use 2.5mm² cable and seal the entry hole to the box with a ring of silicone.
Drain hole in bottom of box.

Where did you plan to connect the other end of the 2.5mm² cable, by the way?

Sponsored Links
there's no point having a cable exposed to elements if you do not have to.
OTOH, a round cable which won't be harmed by exposure and which goes in to the bottom via a proper gland, is easier to get watertight than gobs of silicone round a rear entry.

screenshot_926.jpg

Ok. But remember that the socket must be RCD protected. You'll need to decide if the supply is RCD protected or you will need an RCD socket.

My consumer unit is RCD protected is that OK? I intend running a lawnmower which will be used with a plug in RCD and an outside security light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back