Outdoor Spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some information and help with installing a spotlight out my back door. I have purchased the light but it just has a connector block so what i think ill need to do is wire a plug to the end of it and just plug it into the mains. however not a brilliant diyer myself so would love some advice or diagrams if possible. Or any other suggestions.

Thanks

Graeme

Sponsored Links
When you say spotlight do you mean a PIR security light ?

If so and If I was to put the light up I would find an upstairs socket ideally the nearest one to the wall where you want the outside light to be and run some 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable from the socket to a FCU then from the FCU I would run 1.5mm2 to the outdoor light.

However before you run the 2.5mm2 cable from the socket ensure there are no more than 2 lives and N's in the socket as if there is then it means the socket has a spur running from it , i believe the regs state 1 spur only.

The FCU has terminals for the load and the mains , the mains terminals would be for the 2.5mm2 from the socket and the load terminals would be the 1.5mm2 cable to the light.

The other option is to run 1.5mm2 cable from the downstairs lighting circuit into a FCU and then again 1.5mm2 from the FCU to the light.

The FCU is used to fuse down from 2.5mm2 - 1.5mm2 but it is also used to isolate the light for example if you wanted to change the bulb you wouldnt have to knock off the upstairs sockets or the downstairs lights.

Hope this helps , BTW I am not an electrician so pls read any other advise from the pro's i.e. BAS , Sparrk123 , RF lighting and many more , and pro's if you can add anything or take away anything from my advice pls do so as I am still studying and would appreciate any feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back