Outdoor water leak nightmare

Thanks for your replies. After a bit of further digging, I have found the problem. It was a broken pipe. Anyone know what kind of pipe this is, and where the water is coming from? Is it an underground rain water pipe?

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Stand in line and look around, see if there’s any nearby gullies, be it foul or surface. It’s underground pipe is all we can tell from the photo.

Given the lack of sewerage / foul ,I would guess it's a surface water drain.

I'm sorry but I'm really surprised to see it get this far along and take this amount of time especially with the builders, utility company and other professionals being on site and no one getting it to this point relatively easily and quickly.

That being said, if it's clay and 3", chances are it's a surface water drain hooked to the main drain. It does seems to be a pretty clean break and if the edges are clean then get a fernco coupler onto it and see if the ingress stops. Just be careful manipulating the pipe, clear the ground from over it for a meter either side if you can, to give you some wiggle room

Looking at it, is the pipe in the bottom of the foundations where the builders were doing the groundwork clear out?

Sponsored Links
Have a feel around the underneath of it, you may find it's flat bottomed land drainage stuff. Also if you can expose another couple of feet along the run you may find another joint like that

Thank you for your contributions

Yes, it is near a rainwater drain and this explains why the area got flooded when it rained, despite there being a temporary roof over the trench. As was rightly pointed out, I am surprised this wasn't picked up by the emergency plumbing company who insisted they could hear a leak in the main water supply and made a pay a fortune to have it changed.

I will try and see if I can Fernco coupler as mentioned above. It does appear to be to a clean cut, which makes we wonder if it does by the builders whilst digging

Reactions: CBW
Not sure ,but building control may require that pipe to be relocated if your building over it.

Thank you for your contributions

Yes, it is near a rainwater drain and this explains why the area got flooded when it rained, despite there being a temporary roof over the trench. As was rightly pointed out, I am surprised this wasn't picked up by the emergency plumbing company who insisted they could hear a leak in the main water supply and made a pay a fortune to have it changed.

I will try and see if I can Fernco coupler as mentioned above. It does appear to be to a clean cut, which makes we wonder if it does by the builders whilst digging
Maybe you did have a slight leak on the cold mains ??

Have a feel around the underneath of it, you may find it's flat bottomed land drainage stuff. Also if you can expose another couple of feet along the run you may find another joint like that

That's a fair shout though I wouldn't really expect clay land drainage tiles to be under foundations like that, especially without a gravel top and a silt trap?? Always never say never though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back