outhouse single skin wall... to insulate or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at turning our neglected outhouse in to a more useful room for kids wet clothes/boots/sportsgear. Currently it is the original brick floor (presumably laid straight on earth) and a single skin brick wall. Whilst there is no damp evident on the walls a builder recommended fully sealing the wall internally then boarding up. After lifting and tanking the floor i'd like to keep the single skin and the exposed brick. is this possible or will we get damp coming in?

Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to create a separate stud wall (2x3 CLS) and then put celotex in-between the studs. If you want super warm, I'd suggest 10mm celotex over the CLS studs too. Then, plasterboard and skim.

thanks - that what was our builder recommended but i'd like to keep the old painted bricks if possible but sounds like it's probably not

Is there a dpc in the wall. If not, can you get one below the level of the intended floor. If you lift the existing floor, and put a new one in with insulation, will you have to raise the level of the floor. You can do the dpc yourself with a cream like dampsolve, so with this, and the insulated floor with a plastic dpc membrane, you shouldn't get damp coming up, but it'll be cold with a single skin, but if it's just for kids wet clothes etc, so what. If you can't get the dpc/floor levels correct, then you'd need to run some blackjack up the wall to above the dpc, then as a result, you need to batten and celotex the walls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all your help. no there is no DPC in the wall. I can raise the floor - would it need to be by much? i'll be insulating and putting a damp proof membrane in the floor and lapping it up the walls a few inches anyway will that be enough. is there any benefit in these brick sealer liquids that I could apply to the outside of the wall or will that cause problems with breathability. sorry for all the questions. this is my first substantial project beyond patios and retaining walls.

The TV advertised brick sealers are crap, and only last a few years at best. Check out the Dryzone website for something better (it'll also tell you how to do a silicone dpc - dead easy), but I've got to query why the brick sealant. Damp moves up the bricks from the ground, so the brick sealant is going to be protecting against wind driven rain. You've got the right idea for the floor, so it's just a case of working out where the DPC goes. If you're putting in a solid floor, then you want it the DPC about a brick lower than the floors going to be. What's the difference in height between the outside ground level, and the inner floor.

Great help thanks - i think i'll use the dryzone on the wall at 150mm from the ground level. Raise the floor inside marginally and lap the DPM up the wall to just above the dryzone in the wall. I know the room will remain cold and will put some for of heating in there to give it the occasional blast but think that should do it. Many thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back