outside 240v pond pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
me first post o here on what looks like an amazing forum :)

ok got a pond pump to install outside, there is one there allready wich appears bust but was put in previously by simply passing wire thruogh wall and plugging in......just liek to add this wasnt done by me lol. anyway got a new one has to wired up via a double pole fused switchable spur. think they called fcu;s now ? and also the use of an rcd. wich will be a hell of alot safer then whats there at the moment. i have seen that you can get and rcd fused spur all in one in outdoor and indoor version. soo question is what would be the easiest way safe of course of wiring one of these into the mains ? i doubt its as simple as installing an outside one running wire from that into house with plug on end and plugging in to socket is it ?
would it better to run the wire in side and then change a face plate on an existing socket to a fused spur rcd one ?

Sponsored Links
Look in your fuse box / consumer unit. There may well be an RCD there, which means you dont need another one, if it protects the circuit you are going to use. Get back to us on this.

What is the rating of the pond pump? most are under 100 watts. In which case the new one can also plug in if its cable will reach to the house.

Crafty said:
What is the rating of the pond pump? most are under 100 watts. In which case the new one can also plug in if its cable will reach to the house.

I would be too sure on that, look (ok so i am being picky) :p

Also i believe it is some obscure ruling that all pond pumps must have a 10M cable since all that i have seen (for outside use) do mention 10m cable

Also do not bury the cable in the groundput it where it can be seen but not tripped over

ok there is no rcd on my fuse box its really old type with fuse wire :( that will need updating godo project for summer lol. anyway it has no rcd soo i will need to get one of them, thats fine rather be safe then sorry :) cant see the wattage on the box but its the smallest pump they had was only a cheap hozelock thing £20 soo reckon has to be under 100w will see if i can find out for deffinate though.

soo if its is under 300w i can just plug it in using a 3amp fused plug ( it said a 3amp fused spur)connected to an rcd ?

wont bury the cable its near fence soo will run it hrough some conduit or somthig to wall of house wich is only about 5 meters way

Sponsored Links
thefishdude said:
its the smallest pump they had was only a cheap hozelock thing £20 soo

£20 what is it to do then? (only a small fountain?)

i also take it you have no filtration? (for the pond)

yeah its just for a small fountain 1-2 feet high max just for decorativ effect the pond is small and has no fish. its like maybe 1meeter diameter with the little fountain in middle gonan have it on bell effect :) in a small garden. no fish and a couple of water plants in pots at the edges

lol yeah sorry would love the sort of thing you get in front of a vegas hotel dancing to music but alas no room lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back