Outside Light From Double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just making sure I've got it all right before I start.
I'm fitting a 150W outside light. I am taking a fused spur from a double socket in the dining room.
I am using 2.5mm wire from the double socket to spur and 1.5mm wire from the spur to the light. OK so far?
Just checking that my grey flat 1.5mm wire is OK for the job as far as weather protection etc?
Also what is the best size fuse to replace the 13amp one that's already in the fused switch?

Many thanks in advance. Pat

Sponsored Links
replace the 13amp with a 3 amp BS1362 fuse.Its not advisable to use flat grey twin and earth on long outside runs clipped surface direct. Best install it in some conduit or use black flex.

Sponsored Links
agree with streetlighter, use a flex, how does the cable enter the fitting? probably be easier to gland (if required) with flex than twin and earth.

twin and earth can also be effected by the elements outside (eg UV from the sun) and can 'go off' over time if not 'protected'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back