Outside light on internal socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside light to fit, it is not a full on security light and the idea is to illuminate a door from dusk for a few hours each night. Due to the location of the light connecting it to existing power is going to be a pain.
However, on the internal wall of where the light is ideally to be mounted outside is a socket that is in a cloak room/cupboard.
Can I just mount the light on the external wall and put a plug on the other end and work it that way possibly putting a timer on the plug to control lighting up times?
The light has a 3W LED bulb with an aluminium case and is double insulated with no earth connection.
Not an ideal solution I know but are there any issues with this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
However, on the internal wall of where the light is ideally to be mounted outside is a socket that is in a cloak room/cupboard. ... Can I just mount the light on the external wall and put a plug on the other end and work it that way possibly putting a timer on the plug to control lighting up times?
No reason why not, provided that the cable was installed in an acceptable manner. If you do that, put a 3A (or 1A if you can find one) fuse in the plug.

Kind Regards, John

It's a bit tacky to have a cable doming through a wall and plugging in.

It would be better to spur off the socket with fixed wiring. You should use a double-pole switch for isolation, or a DP switched FCU.

But re the timer - if you want "from dusk for a few hours" then you'll have to be reprogramming the timer al the time as dusk moves about. A dusk-dawn switch with timer would be the thing to use.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it is not an elegant solution but wanted to know if it was doable.

The socket is in a cupboard, i.e. permanently dark.

I have had a look through my old strepsils tin with my fuses in and no 1A - but there is a 2A, fancy that.

Cheers

Sounds like a good idea, although dusk changes time every day.
I think you can get sensors which turn on when they detect dusk and stayr on for a configurable number of hours, which may be useful to you.

Useful to bear in mind in life that you can change yourself, but you can't change others.

You're a smart guy, it's a shame you waste it by being an arsenal hole. But seems you enjoy the games, so good luck.

However life is too short to listen to you and it doesn't seem the mods are going to save us any time so I'm actually making use of my ignore list.

How interesting that JohnW2 has liked a post complaining about something I wrote, when he himself has written the exact same sort of thing many, many times before.

At best that's irrational, at worst it's hypocritical.

Last edited:
We humans are not infallible.
Indeed we are not, and I suppose that is why we are provided with a ;) emoticon to show that commenting on someone's mistake is light-hearted.

But I am struggling to see how someone approving an abusive post criticising a post of "type X" when they themselves regularly make "type X" posts can be brushed aside as normal infallibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back