Outside light problem

C

Craig1944

:?: hi I had two outside lights that had rusted so I decided to buy two more with pir's built in and connected them up the same and correctly! My garage one is on one switch and outside my door on other but for some reason when I turned breaker on they were off which I new and when u walked in front they came on (obviously) but the garage one went off as normal and the one by front door stayed on does anyone no why this happened? Help be appreciated

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Craig1944 :D :D :D

some will be turned on by overriding the pir by turning on then off and back on withing a few seconds
try turning the power off then turn them off at the switch and take it from there

Hi mate. The switches are off already. The garage one is fine comes on when u walk by it but door one won't! I've done as u said over riding it but it doesn't do anything! No matter what you do to switch the light doesn't do anything! I'm extremely confused

Sponsored Links
i agree with Efl wrong connections may be the problem
have you got a wiring diagram we can look at

Yes sure both are wired identically. Ill take picture off light soon! It's a half lantern with pir

Hi just checked wiring again! Am I right in saying that you take a 1.5 twin and earth cable to light switch and then you take a flat 3 core and earth from light switch to outside light?? How then do you connect up the light switch as a step by step? Do u put brown of 3 core to common and then have the black and grey with the brown and blue of the 1.5 twin and earth?? Or do you have brown of 3 core and 1.5 in the common and then put black in l2 and grey and blue in l1?

Will give you full control with over ride ON and override OFF but uses 2 switches per lamp.

Most common is with only over ride OFF ( in which case ignore the purple in the drawing )

From source using twin + E to switch, Live ( Brown ) to COM. Neutral ( Blue ) to a terminal block.

From switch to lamp with twin + E
In switch Switched Live ( Brown ) to L1, Neutral ( Blue to terminal block with source Neutral )

In Lamp Switched Live from switch to L terminal, Neutral from switch to N terminal.

There is likely to be a spare terminal in the lamp with one wire from the lamp and one from the PIR module. This is the local PIR switched Live that the PIR module switches. For simple installs this is not used in the wiring. It is only used if remote over ride ON is needed.

T&e comes from mains! Also have another query, can u change a two gang light switch to a 3 gang and take 3 core from third gang to out side light?

I beg your pardon who are you talking too!! Don't comment if your not being helpful!!! I thought this site helps not gives you crap!

I thought this site helps not gives you crap!
The advice comes from unpaid volunteers who like to get some sleep after their day job so even though your request is urgent to you unless you are prepared to pay midnight call out charges please be patient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back