outside lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,just moved house and checking everything noticed an rcd main switch(45a) fed from fuseboard feeding a joint box(waterproof) with several cables feeding mains voltage and low voltage garden lighting,is this ok?The switches are inside?Any info appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Also,the only protection that i can see is the rcd,is that all it needs?Or does each circuit need protection?

Your description is very vague. For all we know, you actually have 45A of lights, it could be the new Wembley stadium. Where does this circuit get its power from? how many lights are being fed? What is this "rcd main switch"?

crafty1289 said:
Your description is very vague. For all we know, you actually have 45A of lights, it could be the new Wembley stadium. Where does this circuit get its power from? how many lights are being fed? What is this "rcd main switch"?

The rcd is in an enclosure fed from live at CU,and there are aprox 10 40w light fittings(230v)and 12 lv fittings(50w),is that clearer?

Sponsored Links
cafcbastardo said:
The rcd is in an enclosure fed from live at CU,and there are aprox 10 40w light fittings(230v)and 12 lv fittings(50w),is that clearer?

It's fed from live and doesn't go through an MCB? Then it is unfused and will carry about 100Amps in the event of a fault.

Does the CU main switch turn it off?

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera, and put up some pics, it may become clearer.

"live at the cu" could be anything. I do hope it comes from a 6A MCB.

And a 40A RCD is a common size. So long as its trip rate is 30mA, it is ok to have an oversized RCD.

crafty1289 said:
"live at the cu" could be anything. I do hope it comes from a 6A MCB.

And a 40A RCD is a common size. So long as its trip rate is 30mA, it is ok to have an oversized RCD.

Just checked,the rcd is fed from the CU on a 16amcb,from the rcd goes outside to the adaptable box which then feeds the lights which are switched from inside.
There are 3 circuits of outside lights from the adaptable box,does the rcd protect them all?

Most likely, yes. Only way to be sure is to check the wiring, but the RCD was probably put there to protect the lights, though as far as i know, they dont neccesarily need RCD protection.

Is the 16A MCB JUST for these lights? If so, I would change it for a 10A or 6A one.

crafty1289 said:
Most likely, yes. Only way to be sure is to check the wiring, but the RCD was probably put there to protect the lights, though as far as i know, they dont neccesarily need RCD protection.

Is the 16A MCB JUST for these lights? If so, I would change it for a 10A or 6A one.

Thanks crafty1289,yes the rcd is just doing the lights,i'll get a sparks to change the mcb and check the wiring out.I wanted to make sure before i rang a sparky up,just wanna be safe!! :D

JohnD said:
cafcbastardo said:

It's fed from live and doesn't go through an MCB? Then it is unfused and will carry about 100Amps in the event of a fault.

Does the CU main switch turn it off?

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera, and put up some pics, it may become clearer.

Thanks as well JohnD :D

crafty1289 said:

An alternative would be to treat it as a 16A radial, and put each lighting circuit an a switched FCU with a 2A fuse in it. Then as well as being independently switched and isolated, they would be independently fused as well, so a single fault would not take them all out (unless the RCD tripped)

(I suppose each external lighting circuit already has some kind of switch so you can turn it off when changing bulbs or depending on need?)

JohnD said:
crafty1289 said:

An alternative would be to treat it as a 16A radial, and put each lighting circuit an a switched FCU with a 2A fuse in it. Then as well as being independently switched and isolated, they would be independently fused as well, so a single fault would not take them all out (unless the RCD tripped) Thanks JohnD,getting a sparks to change some of the lighting!!Info was helpful and the lights are switched with normal light switches but i'm going the fcu way,thanks again.

(I suppose each external lighting circuit already has some kind of switch so you can turn it off when changing bulbs or depending on need?)

I think you're looking for the
reply.gif
post reply button at the bottom of the page.

That's what I thought, until I read it more closely.

cafcbastardo said:
JohnD said:
crafty1289 said:

An alternative would be to treat it as a 16A radial, and put each lighting circuit an a switched FCU with a 2A fuse in it. Then as well as being independently switched and isolated, they would be independently fused as well, so a single fault would not take them all out (unless the RCD tripped) Thanks JohnD,getting a sparks to change some of the lighting!!Info was helpful and the lights are switched with normal light switches but i'm going the fcu way,thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back