Outside socket

D

dan12345

Hi, I'd like to install an outside socket to plug the mower into etc. I've bought an MK IP56 Masterseal unswitched socket and would like to add a spur from an existing internal socket, i.e. drill through the wall, poke through the cable and fit the socket to an outside wall. Is this acceptable or do I need to install anything else first? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the socket you plan to spur from RCD protected?

Is the socket you plan to spur from a spur itself?

How do you plan to make the entry to the socket outside? From behind? If so you'll need some silicone sealant to put around the box's cable entry.

I always prefer entering them from the bottom, because I can use a gland then, making it properly watertight. Silicone sealant just feels like a bodge to me :LOL:

Gland: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EK251B.html

Thanks for the fast reply!! It's a spur from the ring, as opposed to another spur, and it is an RCD protected circuit.

As for entry, well that would have been my next question but you've answered it already, I'll be entering from beneath.

So, these sockets are designed to be out in all weathers then?

Cheers.

Yes, and the masterseal ones are the best for domestic use, because they are tested to withstand jets of water. And they are still weathertight with a plug inserted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve. Do I need any sleeve around the cable, or just poke it through the wall?

I always think that flexible conduit looks good for an application like that, but you probably don't need anything, unless the cable is going to get knocked.

Main thing is to have the hole running downwards as it exits the house, a drip loop in the cable or conduit, and to seal the hole with silicone to block draughts and creepy-crawlies.

Is it a cavity wall?

And should you care: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

I see nothing wrong with a back entry cable to a weatherproof socket. I also don't see anything wrong with using silicone sealant between the back box and the cable entry. All it requires is the cable to appear from the inside skin and a circle of sealant around the cable entry.

Lucia.

I would also bring the cable in back entry. I think it looks rubbish having a cable out the wall and straight into a gland.

A bit of silicone round the cable and a drain hole in the bottom and you're good to go.

Thanks for all the replies people. I've been putting this job off for a while now, wish I joined earlier!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back