Outside Tap Kit from B&Q stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got the kit a couple year ago, and installed according to the instruction.
It worked OK for a few weeks, but it stopped working when turned on after a few months not using it.

No water coming out at all.

Is this known problem with this kit? I have seen many people complaining about the same problem with this kit.

Is it possible to fix it by replacing part or working on something? Or would it be better to bin it, and just get new tap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Had the same thing with an outside tap earlier this year. Tap obviously froze and jammed the non-return valve inside tap. Took tap off and managed to free NRV and worked after that.

Maybe your NRV is damaged. Sometimes they're inside the tap, sometimes separate. I would start by turning off water, unscrewing tap, and then turning water back on. If water comes out of bib fitting, tap is the problem.

Those outside tap kits are awful things, and often don't comply with Water Regulations (so shouldn't be connected to the water mains). It needs to be re-piped in the proper fashion

Sponsored Links
Had the same thing with an outside tap earlier this year. Tap obviously froze and jammed the non-return valve inside tap. Took tap off and managed to free NRV and worked after that.

Maybe your NRV is damaged. Sometimes they're inside the tap, sometimes separate. I would start by turning off water, unscrewing tap, and then turning water back on. If water comes out of bib fitting, tap is the problem.

By all accounts, the tap doesn't have a NRV.

Is this known problem with this kit? I have seen many people complaining about the same problem with this kit.

Did you not notice the numerous reviews that warn others about the fact that the hoses have split have flooded their homes?

That B&Q still sells them speaks volumes...

Great advice. I will try that first, and see how it goes.
Thanks.

I have never seen anything about this kit before it stopped working.

It was my wife, who went to B&Q for some paint, and got it because it was so cheap.

But now I regret not reading about the reviews on this item before installing it.

If it is not repairable, then need to get proper parts, and do it properly.
Thanks for all your info and advice.

Did you not notice the numerous reviews that warn others about the fact that the hoses have split have flooded their homes?

That B&Q still sells them speaks volumes...

No I wish I had read about them before installing the kit.

Strange that they are still selling the kit, and people are still buying them.

***** decent bit of kit

Deano 0501 - 3 months ago
fitted over 20 of these take your time do it right make sure everything is nice and tight you should never have a problem

----------
If "Deano" has fitted over 20, he either moves house a lot or is (OMG) doing these as a part of his job. I hesitate to say he is a plumber.

Are you on this site, Deano. ?

I bought one of these 'Kits'. Opened the box, read the instructions, put it back in the box and took it back for a refund. An absolute box full or pile of 'dingo's kidneys'.
The flexible hose I would regard as no better than cheap hose pipe, the 'fitting' that connects to the mains water I'd say was a leak waiting to happen. So much better to use decent quality materials and if necessary, a plumber to install properly.

No I wish I had read about them before installing the kit.

Strange that they are still selling the kit, and people are still buying them.

Sorry, on reflection I realised that you may have purchased it in store rather than online.

I am not a plumber but I get the impression that that a plumbers' merchant is more likely to listen to client feedback, especially given that they are primarily dealing with professionals. Perhaps the likes of B&Q are more worried about profit margins than reputation.

I do appreciate that some plumbers' merchants are not particularly DIY friendly. In my experience many have become better over the years though.

Nevertheless, I would recommend that you consider turning of the internal tap when not using the external tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back