Freezing kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My scenario is that the outside stop tap has had tarmac laid over it by some bright spark in the past and the internal stop tap has seized and is leaking. The kithcjen fitters need the water off to take the sink out and the water company cannot even come and look at the outside stop tap till end of next week. We thought we would try out one of these freezing kits!! there is 22mm plastic rising main thats then joins a 22 to 15mm reducer with copper 15mm coming off to a seized stop tap. We used a freezing kit and froze the plastic 22mm pipe aprox 8 inchs away from the stop tap as that is the furthest we could possibly freeze it due to the floor level, Everything went great it froze ok took old stop tap off just literally about to tighten new stop tap up when the plug give way and then the tsunami come!! absolute hell, tried to get the new stop valve on with it gushing out and there had got to be around 6 bar coming out of this rising main upto our ankles in no time and soaked trying everything. I managed to get a pushfit stop end on the pipe which has stopped the flow but now we have no water untill next week when the water board come out. I cant understand why the plug just gave way because the instructions reckon you can sweat a joint on just 6 inchs away from the plug without it melting? Im gonna have to have another go at this but ill be honest im **** scared really knocks your confidence. I called a few plumbers and once i told them what i needed doing that just didnt want to know lol. What I need to do is refreeze the pipe remove the push fit and fit new valve if it goes to plan not even 30 mins work but just worried that its going to be difficult to remove the push fit due to the pressure in the pipe even when its frozen, thats if it freezes but will not know untill ive moved the pushfit but then it will be to late . If i do get the pushfit off is it going to disturb the plug again?

Sponsored Links
So you have had a disaster ??? have used the aerosol freezing kit's in the past , only ever use them to put a stop valve on quick , remember if you end up with an open end on a pipe , with main's water pi***ng out , always use a valve to stop off as opposed to a stopend , leave valve open while putting on ounce tight , than turn it off trying to force a stopend onto X amount of water pressure is not a good idea !!!

OK, so I'll ask,

Was it one of those disposable type kits? canisters about 8" long?

Chocolate tea-pot springs to mind.

Visit your local hire shop and get an electric kit on the go..........

Follow the instructions, and, if the plug does thaw out, have a length of plastic hose on the outlet end of the new valve (and keep it OPEN) while you afitting it so that you are not fighting the pressure while fitting it,

BOB to you

DH

Jetfreezer, uses Large CO2 cylinder never let us down .....yet
I would not have attempted a freeze on a 22mm Cold main with an aerosol kit ;)

Sponsored Links
Ive always be told and as thus always believed that you should not even try to freeze plastic pipe
I was told this is because of 2 reasons.
1. The plastic interior surface is too smooth for any ice to get a grip on.
2. The plastic pipe wall is too good an insulater to ensure a good freeze.
Get the water board to find and expose their stopcock, or use a brake pipe clamp and clamp the pipe shut.

Good point , u should have frozen the copper above & than put another stopcock in !!!!!!!!

You can squeeze mdpe shut with a clamp no need to freeze at all ,a freeze master kit used correctly in the hands of someone who is conmpetant is an excellent piece of kit

plumbing :rolleyes: :D :D easy any one can do it

As said above, should have used a Freeze Master on copper pipework, maximin 40mins work start to finish.

You should have phoned around to see who carries a freeze master.
Well at least you know for next time. :LOL:

Andy

lol thanks guys yea was a major disaster but nothing was damaged as the house is being refurbed. yea it was an aerosol type bout 17 quid from the merchants called freeze it. where can i get these clamps from to clamp the plastic pipe and will it damage the pipe at all? I know why i couldnt get the valve on now because id closed it off ready to put on the pipe and obviously didnt have time to think once the water started peeing out ! ill remember that for next time to keep it open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back