Outside tap not on straight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an outside tap installed but it's sitting slightly crooked. To straighten it up means having to lightly loosen the tap, but this just isn't practical as if I've a hose attached to it the tap will move. I've tried PTFE tape but this is now use! How can I get the tap straight?

Sponsored Links
Will likely need to be re-made with more PTFE. Unless you can get a pair of grips on it and complete another turn?

rob884 said:
Will likely need to be re-made with more PTFE. Unless you can get a pair of grips on it and complete another turn?
I've tried loads of PTFE but it doesn't make much difference. As for completing another turn, the tap at the minute is sitting 90° to the right meaning I would have to turn it another 270° to straighten it up, surely the pipe would crack?

Perhaps I could use a washer? If so, what type of washer should I use?

Bib taps are usually made with PTFE so you CAN tighten it in the correct position. Have you really had the tap right off and re-made??

Sponsored Links
rob884 said:
Bib taps are usually made with PTFE so you CAN tighten it in the correct position. Have you really had the tap right off and re-made??
Yes I've definitely had it off and reapplied the PTFE but perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Hmm...im confused this is usually straight forward. All i can suggest is use more PTFE.

rob884 said:
Hmm...im confused this is usually straight forward. All i can suggest is use more PTFE.
Yeah I know, it's quite frustrating! I'll give it another go. Thanks anyway.

A taper is to a parallel threaded spigot as a slope is to flat ground.

Careful if you decide to tighten the tap to straight position. We just had a new outside tap fitted by plumbers. When we used it for the first time, it came off in our hands. The thread had sheared...we think thro over tightening.

blueharvester said:
Gasguru said:
Form a taper on the thread with the PTFE.
What do you mean by form a taper? I don't understand, sorry.

The seal is between the threads, not on the shoulder at the end of the thread.
Wind enough PTFE around the end of the tap thread so it only just enters the wallplate, and even more tape around the 'shoulder' end till you can't see the thread profile in the tape. it should seal with hardly any tightening.

Then you've just got to judge whether you think it will tighten another turn or not and leave the tap straight on the wallplate. If you loosen it again it may leak, and require another few layers of tape on the thread. Too much tape, or over enthusiastic tightening may split the wallplate.

Get some loctite 55 - about £3 - allows a complete back turn when fully tight without leaking - yay!

Do it proper.......fibre washer + ptfe (liquid or other) ;)

0003166tt9.jpg

sierracsierra said:
Careful if you decide to tighten the tap to straight position. We just had a new outside tap fitted by plumbers. When we used it for the first time, it came off in our hands. The thread had sheared...we think thro over tightening.

Typical heavy handed customer breaks it the first time he uses it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back