Outside tap Please Help

Sponsored Links
I have seen a lot worse, too many 'Handypeople' offering 'Plumbing' as one of their services, who dont seem to have the first clue about what is actually correct to comply with regs. A few compression fittings cobbled together with a few bits of 15mm pipe and a Bibtap on the end seems to pass for an 'Outside Tap' round here.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot worse, too many 'Handypeople' offering 'Plumbing' as one of their services, who have the first clue about what is actually correct to comply with regs. A few compression fittings cobbled together with a few bits of 15mm pipe and a Bibtap on the end seems to pass for an 'Outside Tap' round here.
Please can you tell me what need to be done to sort this out

Sponsored Links
i'm not a plumber, but as denso13 said in an earlier post , just make sure the check valve goes between the isolator and tap - that way - if the double check valve does go wrong , its a simple job to isolate and replace - I have read double check valves can go faulty quite frequently

Seen a lot worse in my time. Does it follow the absolutely correct way an outside tap should be fitted in relation to the water regulations (WRAS) .... no ..... is it a nightmare of a job .... not really.

To be correct in the eyes of WRAS then an outside tap should follow the guidelines and have an internal isolation, a double check valve (for backflow protection) and depending on how the pipework is arranged a drain off point all before the pipe exits the house. Taps with integrated check valves aren't WRAS approved any more as they were found to freeze in the winter rendering the check valve inoperable, therefore wouldn't give the critical backflow protection for the mains drinking water it was designed to provide.

If you isolate that tap in the winter & open it to drain it and leave it open then as long as it has an integrated valve then it should be ok and perform it's backflow protection, the trouble is most people don't isolate and drain down their outside tap before it freezes, therefore the integrated check valve doesn't do it's job any more.

As suggested previously though the tap that's been fitted may not actually have the integrated valve, can you take a side on pic of the tap and take off the end piece off the spout and take a picture looking into the spout. If it doesn't have the integrated valve then it hasn't been installed properly and you won't have any backflow protection (this is the important part) and you would have a justified grievance with the installer.

Seen a lot worse in my time. Does it follow the absolutely correct way an outside tap should be fitted in relation to the water regulations (WRAS) .... no ..... is it a nightmare of a job .... not really.

To be correct in the eyes of WRAS then an outside tap should follow the guidelines and have an internal isolation, a double check valve (for backflow protection) and depending on how the pipework is arranged a drain off point all before the pipe exits the house. Taps with integrated check valves aren't WRAS approved any more as they were found to freeze in the winter rendering the check valve inoperable, therefore wouldn't give the critical backflow protection for the mains drinking water it was designed to provide.

If you isolate that tap in the winter & open it to drain it and leave it open then as long as it has an integrated valve then it should be ok and perform it's backflow protection, the trouble is most people don't isolate and drain down their outside tap before it freezes, therefore the integrated check valve doesn't do it's job any more.

As suggested previously though the tap that's been fitted may not actually have the integrated valve, can you take a side on pic of the tap and take off the end piece off the spout and take a picture looking into the spout. If it doesn't have the integrated valve then it hasn't been installed properly and you won't have any backflow protection (this is the important part) and you would have a justified grievance with the installer.
Thank you for that. I will be back home in 2 hours and will post you some photos then. I appreciate all this help so much. Thank you all

Usual links to specific info don't seem to work.

upload_2021-4-3_12-22-54.png

Attachments

• 5B569A26-7962-4AA9-9DB9-A0B05DE67094.jpeg
    5B569A26-7962-4AA9-9DB9-A0B05DE67094.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 29CBBF55-021D-4F6F-8D65-61A42F45F04E.jpeg
    29CBBF55-021D-4F6F-8D65-61A42F45F04E.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 81352F0C-78F1-4EE7-9AC9-95CE4FC8C487.jpeg
    81352F0C-78F1-4EE7-9AC9-95CE4FC8C487.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 176B967A-D931-4FC2-8925-2FE7D257A79A.jpeg
    176B967A-D931-4FC2-8925-2FE7D257A79A.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 83
That one doesn't have an in built check valve. Irrespective of that you still need one inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back