Outside tap Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
I have just had an outside tap fitted by a plumber.
I have a conservatory in from off the kitchen so he couldn’t put one there. as I have a boiler that leads to an outside wall he said he could put it there. Several other also said the same.
anyway he’s don’t the job and I said a good few times I want a double check valve he seems to have done a good job but has not fitted a double check valve inside the house. he said the valve is in the tap outside side. Also I read that it should be inside. I can’t find anything by the water regulations so don’t want to call him back if it’s not true. He’s gone straight out from the boiler mains pipe to outside.
Also there is no insulation on the pipe inside the wall bit. Does it need it?
Also I paid £80 other quotes were cheaper but I wanted to pay more to have a better job done. This was a New install of a tap. I wanted a proper job done that complies with water regs
Please help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi John
I have already has this tap fitted but the check valve is not inside the house. That’s the tap he seems to have fitted outside. My understanding was that new instal taps must have a check Valve inside the house

As far as I am aware, the tap with check valves obeys current legislation.....do wait until the ‘proper’ plumbers come along though!
Do protect the new tap against frost, of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the tap looking from underneath. Was the hole that was drill 'sleeved' with a bigger pipe?

I think £80 was a cheap price.

Andy

Post a picture of the tap looking from underneath. Was the hole that was drill 'sleeved' with a bigger pipe?

I think £80 was a cheap price.

Andy
Hi Andy
I’ve uploaded all photos now
There was no sleeve i just saw him put a long copper pipe in
The photo below with the black isolation valve is what he’s put. That’s new connection

Attachments

• 2A362183-611F-4819-8B9B-770E83D6A554.jpeg
    2A362183-611F-4819-8B9B-770E83D6A554.jpeg
    715.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 6E7ED1D0-35DC-49A9-8768-50BF78A189EA.jpeg
    6E7ED1D0-35DC-49A9-8768-50BF78A189EA.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 245ABFF1-431A-41A1-8A97-A2572DEC22A1.jpeg
    245ABFF1-431A-41A1-8A97-A2572DEC22A1.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I was being quoted 55 to 75 pounds before. So went for the 80 pounds.

That looks like a standard bibcock to me....I thought the check valved taps had a screw in the bottom to hold the valve in place?
John :)

That is correct. Replacement taps can have a check valve in the tap, for new installations the check valve must be inside.
So this is incorrectly installed ? Does it require anything extra on the copper pipe running through the wall?

see image here
https://www.screwfix.com/p/outside-...QQ91n4bBoND52RvoDEhoCz3cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
notice on bottom the screwfix one is different to yours

and at toolstation
https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=outside tap double check

I fitted double checks inside as was reading about tap issues on freezing , and I also wanted Lever operated outside taps , as we get older , easier to work :)

I asked him a good few times and he said the tap had a double check valve on it. I would’ve paid more to have a good job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back