Outside tap Please Help

OK, there is no backflow protection on that outside tap and you are well within your rights to say to him that he needs to rectify that. As suggested the most suitable and effective way to do that would be to install an inline internal double check valve after the internal isolation valve.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all so much. It’s so helpful. he told me it definitely did. I paid him straight away as well. I will message him now

Any of you in Yorkshire ? Perhaps I can have someone from here do it

It’s also fitted above my gas box as that’s where the boiler is. He said if there was more exposed pipe work it could lead to freezing and bursting in winter.

Sponsored Links
Any of you in Yorkshire ? Perhaps I can have someone from here do it
Illegal install in the eyes of wras and water undertakers. Adequate space to fit a double check valve inside the property where on a new install is a must, as is sleeving the pipe through the wall to protect against corrosion.

I would give him the chance to do it first. Also I would ask him where it’s located, as you can get an internal part - I haven’t actually seen one though, and I don’t mean the integral check valve either.

If he won’t, then you could contact Yorkshire water, as they’re responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Illegal install in the eyes of wras and water undertakers. Adequate space to fit a double check valve inside the property where on a new install is a must, as is sleeving the pipe through the wall to protect against corrosion.

I would give him the chance to do it first. Also I would ask him where it’s located, as you can get an internal part - I haven’t actually seen one though, and I don’t mean the integral check valve either.

If he won’t, then you could contact Yorkshire water, as they’re responsible for enforcing the regulations.

I have just spoke with him and he said he will fit a double check valve. He said he won’t fit a sleeve as it’s not a legal requirement ? I have tried calling Yorkshire water and didn’t get very far. He has sent me a receipt and does say double check for tap. It doesn’t have a double check valve on this. So I don’t know why he has a receipt.
However he’s going to fit one inside. I want it doing right so if it’s meant to have a sleeve then that’s what I want.
chris are you local

I’m sure it’s in there somewhere

Thanks @Chris_W, I have noted that before but never really considered it for an outside tap. However, I suppose no reason why not, it is a mains pipe through a cavity wall.

Only thing though is it says it should also be insulated. With 25mm insulation and a 15mm pipe you'd need to core cut a 75mm hole!!

Only thing though is it says it should also be insulated. With 25mm insulation and a 15mm pipe you'd need to core cut a 75mm hole!!
I think just sleeving is required? Not 100% on that.

The Water Regs diagram is showing a block wall on both skins, which I can only assume is an internal wall. Never yet seen a water pipe sleeved through an external wall other than when an Insuduct has been used and the supply comes through the wall above ground level. :confused:

Never yet seen a water pipe sleeved through an external wall other than when an Insuduct has been used and the supply comes through the wall above ground level. :confused:
Sleeved or insulated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back