Outside tap, what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have just been asked to fit an external tap for a customer & was wondering if I could ask for some advice? I need to drill through the cavity wall obviously, but what I am struggling to get my head round is do I,

A. Drill through the back of the kitchen unit & continue through the two walls & risk smashing the face off the brick work or,

B. drill from the outside throught the walls & risk smashing through the back panel of the kitchen unit?

I guess the thickness of the two walls plus the space between the inner wall & the kitchen unit must me 600mm (guess).

There does not appear to be any way of getting the back of the unit off, my only option may be to jigsaw a square out then screw it back in after which I think may look a bit crap if I am not careful.

Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
i useally take a 10mm through first then a 25mm from inside to cavity and 25mm from outside to cavity.

holesaw on the unit.

Hmmm, sounds like a plan. you always sleeve in 22mm copper? I had it in mind to use some plastic coated (gas) 15mm.

Sponsored Links
i also always use a 8mm pilot drill, like this job if i had to go through the back panel of the unit i would drill a 25mm hole with a speedbit then drill with 25mm into cavity, carry on drilling right through with 8mm then go outside and drill back through with 25mm, always looks nice and neat as long as you take care with the 8mm going through it will be fine, doing it this way means you can get away with buying 25mm shorter drills.

Go for option A.... a million sky dish fitters can`t be wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks guys the job worked out perfect! Hole saw through the back of the panel, 10mm masonry bit through both cavities,inside to out, 22mm through one cavity from the inside, ditto outside, sleeved with conduit. Happy days! :D

36_1_11.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back