Oven cable length

EL8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently in the process of planning a new kitchen. The existing electric oven is currently under a gas hob. We propose to disconnect the gas and install a induction hob and relocate the oven into a tall housing unit at right angles to it.

The existing arrangements are shown below.

IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2642.JPG

The induction hob will be either a BOSCH PIE611B18E or NEFF T40B30X2, both of which I assume due to their rating would have to be hardwired into the existing cooker point (although I am not certain about the NEFF)?

The new oven will hopefully be a NEFF B44S42N3GB which is 13amp and looks like it can be fitted with a plug, so will be plugged into the socket next to the cooker point (Unless it would be easier/possible to hardwire both together into a dual connection point?).

We would like minimum disruption to existing electrical connections. But the main concern is that the the cable to the oven will be approximately 3-4m long (maximum 5m) to allow some slack for it's removal from the housing unit. We've tried to illustrate below how the cable will run. The 45A cooker switch for the oven & hob will remain within 2m of the single oven. But the actual cable length will extend this and we would like to know whether this would have a negative effect in any way?

IMG_2777.JPG

Sponsored Links
No problem with cable length, but some points before you continue. The circuit has amaximum rating at preent of 32amps
What is the power rating of the hob?
What is the power rating of the oven?

This is important, for obvious reasons.

EDIT:

You should be able to wire the hob into the existing connection point and extend the oven cable to the socket. I would use 2.5mm cable for that.

PS the socket and the cooker point must remain accessible.

No real problem with cable length. I will point out a mistake I made with an induction cooker, got mine first really great a stand alone cooker, so mother decides to also go for induction. The hob worked, but still had to be ripped out again and replaced with a halogen hob instead. Two major problems.
1) She had an old pace maker and we were advised it was not to standard as far as interference rejection goes so she should not use the induction hob until pace maker was changed.
2) In a wheel chair she could not use the touch controls, at that angle they were invisible, we also found the touch controls were very slow to operate, we had knobs on ours, and did not think about the speed of touch controls until my mother had them. With a knob when we see something about to boil over we simply turn it off, very like a gas hob, straight away no heat, but by time we had multi touched the touch controls to turn off the heat, the item had boiled over, so only option is to lift pan, the whole idea was instant control, which was removed by using touch controls.

Learn from my error if it has touch controls reject it. Get one with knobs on, they are far better.

Thank you. Makes life a lot easier if we can just use a longer cable instead of relocating sockets.
No problem with cable length, but some points before you continue. The circuit has amaximum rating at preent of 32amps
What is the power rating of the hob?
What is the power rating of the oven?

This is important, for obvious reasons.

EDIT:

You should be able to wire the hob into the existing connection point and extend the oven cable to the socket. I would use 2.5mm cable for that.

PS the socket and the cooker point must remain accessible.

Both hobs have a total load rating of 4.6kW and the oven is 2.9kW

The manual states Type H05 V V-F or a higher rating for cable for the oven. Would you be able to recommend a suitable type of cable for attaching the plug to oven?

Also which cable should we use for hardwiring the hob? My husband is capable of identifying all the correct terminals for wiring himself, but I need to double check he buys the right cables.

Sponsored Links
The socket and cooker point will be located behind a unit of pan drawers, so would still be accessible.

Yes, we would have to try and get used to touch controls as we've never used an induction hob before, but hopefully easier to clean!

The socket and cooker point will be located behind a unit of pan drawers, so would still be accessible.

Yes, we would have to try and get used to touch controls as we've never used an induction hob before, but hopefully easier to clean!
Because an induction hob does not get as hot as any other hob they are easy clean as nothing gets baked on, there is no point in touch controls, there was with the halogen hob, but not with induction.

Because an induction hob does not get as hot as any other hob they are easy clean as nothing gets baked on, there is no point in touch controls, there was with the halogen hob, but not with induction.

We've always had gas, so I actually didn't know induction hobs can come with knobs controls :oops: Problem is we're limited on our appliance budget. The Neff above is only £329, but just had a quick search and the hobs with the knobs tend to be more expensive :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back