Oven cable

... if the mechanical joint is (I would think necessarily) based on twisting/knotting/plaiting/splicing etc. (if more than that, it would not really be a 'soldered joint'), then a sufficiently firm 'tug' would pull it apart - in practice, probably a tug no 'firmer' (actually probably 'less firm') than would be necessary to pull a conductor out of a properly-tightened screwed terminal (in the absence of adequate strain relief).

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't recommend soldering wires to a DIYer, there's too many ways of incorrectly soldering.

I would have thought re-crimping with new crimps and a DECENT ratchet crimping tool, with the joint in an enclosure would be better.

I haven't seen Wagos for 6mm2 cable, so glad to hear they exist, as this would be good too.

Personally I wouldn't recommend soldering wires to a DIYer, there's too many ways of incorrectly soldering. ... I would have thought re-crimping with new crimps and a DECENT ratchet crimping tool, with the joint in an enclosure would be better.
I agree, but would go further and wouldn't recommend soldering to an electrician who wasn't well trained and experienced in doing it, and nor would I personally want crimping to be done by an electrician who was not well experienced in doing it, let alone a DIYer.
I haven't seen Wagos for 6mm2 cable, so glad to hear they exist, as this would be good too.
As I said, 773-173 Wagos will take up to 6mm² and, according to Wago, they are 'MF' if used in a Wagobox. If one believes that, this may well be the best option for DIYers and electricians inadequately experienced in soldering and/or crimping.

WA173.JPG

Kind Regards, John

You can get maintenance free DIN-rail terminals which go up to 16mm².

Unfortunately nobody has offered (or will ever bother to offer, I strongly suspect) an enclosure marked MF for them, or declare BS 5733 compliance.

Sponsored Links
If there is no MF marking, nor any claim/declaration of BS5733 compliance, in what sense are they 'maintenance free"? Is this merely a reference to the fact that they do not used 'screwed' connections?

The terminals themselves are said by the manufacturers to be maintenance free Whether there is an applicable standard for the terminals alone, IHNI, but they are a reputable company.

But as you know, there is more to having a BS-5733 compliant MF junction box than simply the terminals inside.

It's not the wago that's mf on its own, you need to put it in a suitable enclosure that needs a tool to open it and has the correct strain relief

It's not the wago that's mf on its own, you need to put it in a suitable enclosure that needs a tool to open it and has the correct strain relief
Isn't that essentially what BAS has just said, in the last sentence of his preceding post?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back